Eira responded to the magic 3 antibiotics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

My 10-week-old PEW, Eira (Welsh for snow), developed very noisy breathing a couple of weeks ago. Zithromax didn't help. In desperation I tried Baytril/Doxy, even though young rats don't normally get Baytril. I took her to the vet, and we then tried Clavamox. No luck. He was thinking of tryIng Lasix and doing an X-ray next.

I was away on business for a few days, and SQ took care of Her for me. She tried the super-combo for resistant Myco: Baytril, Doxy, and Zithromax --- and it worked!
I am so relieved to see her breathing normally and to be unable to hear anything unusual even with "rat phone".

This is a combo worth trying, because I hav.e never had a rat that took so long to respond.

Oh .... I thought you had tried baytril + zithro (I had suggested it to you).
If I had known you didn't try baytril + azithromycin, I would have put her on that before trying the combo of three antibiotics.

It was nice seeing her quickly improve.
I save that combo for those situations when baytril + zithro is not enough,
thanks to lilspaz68 for this life saving info a few years ago. :)

Wish the combo had worked for Psalty last week too ... but it looks like the enlarged heart he has had since he was a young baby
is now causing problems and he is now trying heart meds as it looks like he has congestive heart failure :(

Yay Eira! I'm so glad she has finally gotten her breathing back to normal.
Oddly enough, her brother responded quickly to Clavamox after trying Baytril with no effect.
Her brothers and sisters send their love!

Back