"Edward Scissorhand" claws? Ouchie ...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll always be covered in rattie "love scratches" - despite my annoying allergy to their urine, its been perfectly manageable so far since the scratches have never drawn blood.

BUT now I have Oliver, and I swear, this little dude has razor sharp claws! They are super pointy, and really slice through my skin. And since the scratches are deep enough to draw a bit of blood, the wounded areas get extra swollen from my allergy.

Is there a reason why his claws are so sharp compared to my other kiddos? Does he maintain them differently, or is it a genetic thing? Its not like his claws are overgrown. I had made attempts in the past to trim rat nails, but it wasn't worth the effort. And I'm fairly sure that trying to trim his little "Edward Scissorhand" claws would result in some lovely battle wounds.

Try placing a brick under his water bottle - we have done this and it helps a bit and since they are inexpensive they can be replaced when too dirty. My boys do the same and come December they will be hands off until after our wedding since I don't want claw marks in our pictures - so its long sleeve time, and no shirt diving for Curley or I will not be able to handle them. We have tried baby nail clippers too, but its a two person job.

you can always file the nails if he's opposed to allowing clipping. mine prefer that after I help them&showed them on my nails, now they like it. or try making lava ledge staircase cage permitting

Back