Eating less

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Have anyone else noticed their older rats eating a lot less?
I'm a little concerned because my older crew don't seem to be eating their blocks like they used to. I'm wondering if this is just normal part of getting old, slowing metabolism or are they maybe needing a softer supplement?

I've always noticed young kids eating like pigs, older eating with decorum. And old kids not eating as much (unless they have tumors to feed) :darn: We all know that. Why do you think I like the old folks? I save 1/8th cup of food a month!

That sounds like a question I'd expect from a new rat acquirer.. Or at least something I'd be asking you Jo with your wealth of experience with so many different individuals.
It's really hard to see this question coming from you. What's up? I'm not getting it or I'm mising someting.

Jo, I hope your kids are ok.

I've never had this many be old at once. In the past, I would have maybe two old guys, which I would always pull out to feed because I was afraid they were not getting their share. But in this cage, I've got 10 out of 14 that are old, the other 2 that are 18m but not in the best of health and the other two youngish ones (17m and 21m) are very sick. So basically it's a nursing home for 14 rats. This is the first time that I don't have to pay special attention to older/sick guys cause they are all in the same boat. Seeing the blocks not go down, and in the past I used to pull out the old/sick guys for baby cereal makes me wonder if I should be feeding everyone baby cereal or just accept that they are not eating as much as a whole and they don't really need baby cereal.
I guess I'm a very paranoid mom... my oldest in that cage is Loki, (41m) then it's Pascal and Vincent at almost 31, Neela, Mielle, Flea and Couscous at 30m, Andy, Dallas and Simon at almost 29m. I just want to make sure they are indeed eating, especially since I know for some, it's the end of the road. :(

Well, my cage currently only houses three.. but I was just noticing lately that they don't seem to be as in to their blocks as usual. I want to say maybe it has to do with the seasonal change, but it would make more sense for them to eat more to bulk up.

At this point I only have 4 out of 9 that are under a year or at a year, the rest of them are up there in age. Daisy especially I watch to be sure she is eating.

Everyone gets the "normal" food whether we are on block for a meal or its a cereal version, one thing I have done with the dog food or block is to soak a small portion of it in some warm water for about ten minutes, Daisy will still eat the hard food but I am also concerned about her if she can still eat it or not. So I try to make changes here and there for her. She gets the softened portion of food in another bowl, I just put it right in front of her while the others are eating, or just soften up the whole bowl of food in the cage, the others will eat it!!

Also one of our vets here in the past has mentioned supplementing the older kids with nutrical, something like a small inch long strip a day, extra calories and they love it. It's not soemthing I give often though because it is high in sugar.

I know you also give pablum as treats Jo, I keep a box of baby cereal on hand and will mix up a separate plate of that if Daisy or someone doesn't seem interested in the food put in the cage. Baby cereal gets their attention every time. I add flax oil and sometimes olive oil to their baby cereal, the flax oil is really good for them and it helps keeps the older kids regular too :D

Have to be aware of other things I do for Daisy foodwise and if I think of anything I will let ya know.

Jen

jorats said:
Thanks guys!

I'm going to also offer them the watered down blocks. That was a good idea!

If they give ya the "what the hell" look about the soft blocks, add a tiny bit of olive oil, again something they go nuts for normally and just a little extra especially for the old crowd should not be a calorie issue.

I supplement the old timers with some canned dog food. They love the Nutro Lamb & Rice and Chicken & Rice wet dog food, but I'm sure any higher quality dog food (not no name, etc) would be fine.

I just put in a small dish in the evening, not enough that they will purposely ignore their blocks.

Oh, of course that explains your asking Jo.
My old kids always eat less, but I've never had a problem with any not eating enough (unless they were very ill and on their way out). I guess like people they just don't need as much when they are not as active anymore, and maybe their metabolism slows down too or something... Of course mine don't reach the grand ages that your do.

Lise said:
I supplement the old timers with some canned dog food. They love the Nutro Lamb & Rice and Chicken & Rice wet dog food, but I'm sure any higher quality dog food (not no name, etc) would be fine.

I just put in a small dish in the evening, not enough that they will purposely ignore their blocks.

Hmm might have to try the canned dog food too! Thanks!

I would assume my oldies metabolism slows down, they aren't as active etc. I use baby cereal, boost, dog supplement paste, olive oil, block powder moistened and baby foods to supplement them when they seem to be losing a bit of weight.

And I in the past have wondered that as well, but I remember posting it somewhere and my post got ignored, so I worked it out on my own. When the Horde get older I will see a lot of it, since their ages range from 16 months (Aura's 4 "babies" and then 18 months (Dilly) up to 2 years old (Asha and Adia).

Back