Easier to intro intact youngsters first and then snip, or ..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Have them snipped first and then intro'd?

I'm kinda thinking about adopting a pair of young-ish brothers and integrating them with my CritterNation group. That one has a couple of real buttheads (Rufus and Sophie), so I'm hoping that male younglings wouldn't make them so darn defensive.

Snipping will happen regardless, but the rescue doesn't always have pre-neutered rats so is it worth doing a meet-n-greet with intact ones? I don't mind paying for neuters, but not without a compatibility test first.

The only thing about young rats is they may get at long but then hormones kick in, 6-8 months sometimes sooner and it all changes. if they are not snipped now, then It wont mean they wont get a long later. Meet n greets to me wouldnt say much since most rats get puffy at other rats lol so it could take a few weeks for them to like each other. especially if you have buttheads. I have a few of those lol and they make intro's take a bit longer.

If you could afford it and have a good vet, I'd get them snipped first. It's always easier but not a guaranty. If your buttheads want to be bullies, they will be bullies regardless if they are babies or neutered males. Are the buttheads neutered?

jorats said:
If your buttheads want to be bullies, they will be bullies regardless if they are babies or neutered males. Are the buttheads neutered?
LOL, Rufus is neutered and Sophie is spayed, and for some reason, those two can be little terrors. Rufus can be very possessive. Every now and then I give them treats sealed in a cardboard box to stimulate their problem solving skills, and Rufus will forcibly not allow anyone to touch it until he figures out how to open it. As for Sophie, I swear she gets PMS-y some times ...

Of course, the biggest stumbling block at the moment is my hubby - had a little spat lat night 'cause I wouldn't fetch him an apple from the kitchen because I was busy trying to figure out dosages for rat meds. And he goes "SEE! This is why I don't want you getting more rats! Every time something is wrong with them, they take priority over me!" And I was like "Rats can't do math or go online, so I have to do this for them. You have two perfectly working legs, so you can fetch your darn apple yourself." I ended up fetching the apple anyways, but after I finished the rattie stuff. Yay for small victories ... :emb:

jorats said:
If you could afford it and have a good vet, I'd get them snipped first. It's always easier but not a guaranty. If your buttheads want to be bullies, they will be bullies regardless if they are babies or neutered males. Are the buttheads neutered?

that is the best fact I have heard all day!

rhapsody said:
LOL, Rufus is neutered and Sophie is spayed, and for some reason, those two can be little terrors. Rufus can be very possessive. Every now and then I give them treats sealed in a cardboard box to stimulate their problem solving skills, and Rufus will forcibly not allow anyone to touch it until he figures out how to open it. As for Sophie, I swear she gets PMS-y some times ...

Of course, the biggest stumbling block at the moment is my hubby - had a little spat lat night 'cause I wouldn't fetch him an apple from the kitchen because I was busy trying to figure out dosages for rat meds. And he goes "SEE! This is why I don't want you getting more rats! Every time something is wrong with them, they take priority over me!" And I was like "Rats can't do math or go online, so I have to do this for them. You have two perfectly working legs, so you can fetch your darn apple yourself." I ended up fetching the apple anyways, but after I finished the rattie stuff. Yay for small victories ... :emb:

Oh boy. If Scott ever would say something like the to me, he'd lose his nuts real fast too.

So with your gang it's going to be a wait and see how they react. I do need to add that they sound lovely. I love rats with big personalities.

Back