Ear Infection while on Meds?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eolith

Those of you who are familiar with me know that I've been struggling through all sorts of medical issues with Johnny, the stray rat I found.

Right as I thought we were finally pulling through all of the abscesses, the broken paw, the scrapes and bumps... something else has come along. Johnny has developed a moderate to severe head tilt. He can't seem to sit back on his hind legs to groom or eat, he can't seem to climb above the bottom level of the cage, and when he moves it looks more like a one-sided slither.

From what I've researched, this could be an ear infection... or a neurological issue. He's been on Baytril antibiotics for three weeks now... as treatment for the abscesses. When we started, he had no indications of an ear infection. The symptoms have come along over the past four days or so. Is it really possible that he could have developed an ear infection while on the very meds that ought to treat such things?

I'm going to try to bring him to the vet soon. The problem is, I'm a college student and I'm already stretched extremely thin. At this point, I'm not certain whether it's time to consider having him pts. He seems like he's still eating. When I pick him up he feels more filled out. All of his lesions have healed for the most part. But... it seems like he's just "existing" and I don't know what sort of life that is.

Has he presented any other neurological symptoms? Head bumping? Confusion? Crossing his front paws?

Unfortunately, ear infections and neuro issues, like PT, present similarly. Does he seem to dig in one of his ears? Treating for ear infection has a more favorable outcome than a neuro issue, it could just be a matter of treating with a different antibiotic. How is your vet? Do they seem knowledgeable, and understanding of your budget? Would they be willing to see Johnny again and waive the exam fee, maybe call it a recheck or "medical progress exam"?

It is possible for him to develop an ear infection anyways, you might want to try a different med. Ask for clavamox, it might even be cheaper than Baytril.

It's entirely possible for them to develop an ear infection while on meds. Generally an ear infection is treated with a stronger medication or two different medications. Has he been presenting the head tilt for 4 days now? If so, there is a possibility he'll never completely right himself. Generally speaking, an anti-inflammatory such as prednisone or even infant ibuprofen reduces the swelling within the inner ear causing them to right their heads back along with the medications, but that's something that needs to be done within the first 24-48hrs.

Doxycycline added to the Baytril has a great success rate at curing head tilt. It's generally cheaper than Baytril, but it would be an additional cost to you. Call your vet or go in and ask them how much they would charge for Doxy or the previously mentioned Clavamox [which could be used alone]. Tell them you're a college student and that your funds are stretched thin. I've known some vets to take some pity and waive certain fees. My own vet doesn't charge me for anything but medications, because I rescue rats.

Aside from that, I know you're having a tough time treating him, but please, please don't have him euthanized because you can no longer afford him. Post him up for adoption or release him to a shelter that will be able to treat him. It may take some research to find a rat friendly shelter, but they do exist. Another option is to release him to a rescue in your area, where they will definitely treat him and try to find him a good home once he's well.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

To be clear... I am not considering euthanasia because I can't afford him, but because he doesn't seem to be having a very quality level of life. He's curled up in the same corner on the bottom of the cage whenever I've been going in there lately. I'm trying to do all that I can for him.

Unfortunately when they're as sick as Johnny's been, it's hard on their little bodies and it takes them a little while to spring back. Some Boost or Ensure added to his daily diet will help keep him hydrated and make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs. Once this ear infection is taken care of, I'm sure he'll start to act better.

Back