Ear Infection? Or more?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cuppicake

My 2 year old female rat has developed an ear infection which i got her meds for and it has been helping the smell coming from her ear, But these past few days i've noticed shes been making a rumbly noise...not constant but frequent. I'd like to add that recently she has became an only rat after my other rat passed away from old age. :( After this she's became very clingy and loves sleeping on me which shes never done before, but now im worried that she isn't just sad or shes actually very sick and isn't showing it. She is her normal happy jumpy self, still eats and drinks tons and there isn't any porphyrin so I just don't know if this is also a URI on top of the ear infection.

Are you able to take her back to the vet and have her rechecked? Maybe add another antibiotic if it is respiratory as well? Also if possible, I'd get another pair of females. She really really needs another rat companion.

I've never experienced an ear infection in a rat yet, so maybe someone who has will answer soon. But I know when they lose their companion, they stress, and that's not good for their immune systems.

Can you listen to her breathing by holding her sides to your ears? Inner ear infection is often related to myco which causes the respiratory infection so they can show up together.

What antibiotics did they give you , what concentration are they (mg/ml), how much were you told to give, and how much does she weigh? I can double check the dosing.

Back