Ear infection / brain damage -- Fredericton PetSmart Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaTayes

Hey guys. I just came home and brought with me a sick rat from PetSmart. They let me take her for free. She was returned by a customer a few months ago, because her head was tilted and it would constantly spin. PetSmart took her to Shawn Smith (Main Street Vet, that's 'their' vet) who gave them a combination of 3 different prescriptions, including Baytril. She was still bad, so they brought her back a few weeks ago and now she's on Amoxil (0.5 ml twice daily). She's a bit better now; her head is still very tilted, but she doesn't spin as often as she used to. I brought her home so she could have a bigger home where I can give her much more attention than what she has. She's in a single level cage now (she'd fall off shelves). Other than her head tilting and the fact that she shakes slightly, she is able to eat and drink. She's a decent weight, considering her state. I estimate her to be around 4-5 months old, as she's smaller than my 6-8 month old girls.
The girl at PetSmart said that she thinks the rat might have brain damage now, since she's had the ear infection for so long and at a young age.
I'm really new at illnesses in rats, I've only experienced URIs so I don't know what to do. Is Amoxil the right thing for her to be taking? If anyone in Fredericton who is experienced with this is willing to take her or just give me some advice, that'd be fantastic.
I don't have any pictures for now, I'm just letting her rest. She's a chocolate brown hoodie, very sweet and cuddly.

I have a vet apt in an hour if you would like me to take her along.
She likely has permanent damange to her ear so will likely have a permanent head tilt.

The treatment for inner ear infection is either clorpalm or both clavamox + baytril and an anti inflamatory.
You may want to have the infection cultured to see which antibiotics it is sensitive to.

I doubt that your new girl has actual brain damage. As SQ said, its the inner ear - something in there controls one's balance, and a serious ear infection sometimes "kills" it. If the damage is bad enough, it'll cause tiltiness and circling.

I have a head tilt/wobbly girl myself. Her ear infection just flared up again (she had them with her previous owner), and I couldn't control it with amoxy. The vet prescribed baytril, metacam, and some ear drops (forget the name).

The sweet little girl came to the vet with me and is now back home with Melissa.
The little girl is circling and rolling, with a very bad head tilt.

She started new meds today - dex injections, baytril + clavamox
Melissa thought that she seems a bit better since given her first dex injection at the vets.

Hopefully she will make a good recovery.
We all know that she is getting lots of tlc this evening :)

"Rose" seems to be doing better. I made her some of that baby formula, and she ate it from a dish without me having to use my finger or a syringe, as long as the dish was leaning low enough for her to reach. I just gave her some Baytril and Clavamox with the formula, but she wouldn't take much of it. As I held her, she put her head straight but it looked like she was gagging and kept opening her mouth wide. She's lying down right now, breathing a bit hard, but seems better. She had me real worried there for a few minutes. Once SQ comes back tomorrow to give me the Dex and show me how to do it, I'm going to make sure I'm doing the Baytril and Clavamox properly.
Thanks again SQ for everything today, your experience is very appreciated in this situation.

My girl Norrah had an ear infection when I got her as well, it cleared up fairly quickly, but she still has a slight head tilt.. She used to spin, but she now holds her tail to the left and can walk straight enough. :) I love her to bits.

Poor girl. :cuddle: With the rats Ive had Ive still yet to experience an ear infection. Hopefully I dont have to lol but Hopefully the meds fix her right up! You should post a picture of her :D

Poor little Rose! She's got great friends taking care of her and a mommy *hugs SQ* your awsome guys!

Rose went to the vet today and her meds were changed as she has gotten worse then she was 2 weeks ago

Jan23babyRose.jpg

sweet little Rose

Jan23babyRosewalking.jpg

Rose walking

Jan23babyRoseinhouse.jpg

Rose standing up

Oh gosh, that looks really bad.

Is the poor girl still able to eat and drink? I've heard that in some severe ear infection cases, the damage causes the rat to experience a permanent state of vertigo and the quality of life just plummets ...

Rose's vertigo is very very bad.
She can eat and drink.
Rose is living with an older rattie girl who snuggles with her, so Rose has a friend and is not alone.
Rose loves Melissa and enjoys snuggling and being cuddled and petted by Melissa
Hopefully the new meds will stop her vertigo and stop her rolling

Yes, I am very glad that she is able to eat and drink on her own. While in her cage she seems fine, and only rolls to get into her house. However, once she is picked up and put on a new surface such as my bed, she freaks out and rolls around until she is able to cover her head with a blanket or something.
She was improving a few weeks ago but has gotten worse in the last few days. Hopefully the change of medication the vet gave us today will make her improve again.
She is very loved, but me, my other rats, and by SQ. I'm very lucky to have her help.

If you can keep her in a small box that her head reaches the "ceiling" she won't roll as much. My girl was on Dex and Baytril. Good luck with Rose.

She has a few Kleenex boxes in her cage which she prefers to sleep in, probably for the use of the ceiling.
She was initially on Dex, Baytril, and Clavamox. When the 5 days of Dex ended, it was replaced with Pred. She slowly got worse on this, so now she's on Dex, Baytril, and Metronidazole. If she gets better with the Dex, the vet recommended keeping her on it for more than the usual 5 days, as the benefit outweighs any risks.
She's also on a huge dosage of TLC :thumbup:

Luna always preferred the cereal boxes and she was on Dex for 14 days. She did get better too. I know you're doing a fantastic job with your sweetie.

Back