Ear bump

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentmagician

I noticed a tiny flesh colored bump on my guy's ear a long while back. It was so small I couldn't hardly feel it with my fingers, so I've been watching it for months without seeing much change. However, I'm pretty sure it has gotten bigger recently, and I can feel a lump when I stroke the ear. Do I need to get him checked for a tumor? He'll be 2 years old in January.

It could be a tumour ... benign or malignant
My River was 2 years old in June and she has a small tumour on her ear.
Since she is on heart medication for congestive heart failure, River is not a candidate for surgery :(
Fortunately her tumour is not growing fast and doesn't seem to be bothering her so far

If you have a good vet, you might want to get it checked out

Ok, thanks for your insight. At first I thought it was a tiny pimple, but now it looks more mole-like. Our vet isn't bad, but the poor little rat freaks out and I don't like aggravating his persistant respiratory infection so I've been more conservative in taking him anywhere. It seemed like such a wierd place for a tumor so thanks for letting me know it actually is possible.

I would watch to see if any more little bumps on the edge of his ear show up, this could be indicative of sarcoptic mites instead (treat with ivermectin).

I have an old boy with the same issue, and I am just watching and waiting, as it seems very localized.

Yeah, at first I thought mites as well (he's had them before--in fact, this board helped me diagnose him the first time :)) but this looks different and it has changed very slowly with no more bumps appearing so I got worried about how much longer to wait and see.

Back