Dwarf Ratties!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still want a Harley coated rat -- someday. :)

I'm not really a fan of the dwarfs. Sure a 75 gram rat is cute, but I have heard horror stories of them being killed by standard rats. And they can have problems birthing, leading to c-sections and death. And although they may be less prone to cancer I'm sure the lack of growth hormone negatively affects them in other ways.

It just seems like messing with mother nature to me, breeding rats that lack normal hormones.

lilspaz68 said:
OFR is a breeder who sends up big red flags for me. :(

Why Shelagh? She is a well respected breeder active in the show community. She does have more of a life now so she isn't breeding nearly as much. She was responsible for setting a lot of the show standards, and importing some fabulous rats from overseas. She is very active in fancy rat genetics forums as well.

You seem to be very quick to bash breeders? Have you even talked to Debbi??

Where are the pedigrees, the past litters, all that stuff that a good "rat consumer" can use to get a feel for a possible breeder they want to deal with.

Email to see if some type is available? Only way to reach them?

It just makes me uncomfortable. I have nothing against Debbi personally, but there's nothing about her website that makes me say "I would love one of those healthy, bred for temperament babies." I don't see those particular words emphasized anywhere on her site.

Phyllis said:
Oh My Gosh I went to see Harly rats I want some too, but all our different ratties are breed to be that way! Don't be so hard on my tinys! :) :D
http://www.skyclyde.com/HarleyII.html

OH my! You are getting some tiney's! Thats wonderful! I never have any problems with my and the groown up rats, they treat them just like they do the other rats. I do not plan on breeding them so I would not even thing of that.
You have to post pictures as soon as you can! I can hardly wait to see!

There are certain things that just don't make people feel comfortable. The fact she only breeds "rare" and "fascinating" animals bugs me a little. Saying that 3 dwarf rats can fit into a hamster cage, when I wouldn't put 2 babies in one for long term.. Well, it's just a disagreement of practices. Thus, one wouldn't care for the breeder.

Everyone's allowed an opinion.

im not a fan of dwarfrats either. I like my rats just to be rats, not small rats, fluffy rats, tailless or naked rats :wink:

i dont think the harley coated look very healthy, just sort of fluffy hairballs. I like the standard rats the most actually :p
There are some dutch breeders getting harley coated now too...

why do people always want to change their rats/other animals? why dont they accept the rats like they are?

Back