Dwarf rat in a standard litter?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capslock

My rat recently gave borth to an OOPs litter of 16 and one of the males is EXTREMELY tiny. Dwarf tiny.
He looks like a baby mouse.
They all vary in size of course, but this one is incredibly tiny in comparrison with even the smallest of the bunch. Nothing seems to be wrong with him, he isn't skinny or weak at all, actually supringly developed for his age. However, I thought it was impossible for one to be born from two standards unless they carry the dwarf gene, which is very rare if at all present in pet store rats. I can't figure it out! Is it possible that the genes of pet store rats are so much like trailmix that I just happened to get a dwarf in my litter?
p00135.jpg

Hi!
Wow, that little guy is tiny! Mom is paying him enough attention?
Is that pic recent? At 15 days they should be getting ready to open their eyes.

Wow. Why are mine so small?
They have more fur now, that picture wasn't yesterday, my bad, three days ago.
Anwways.
The mother is one I adopted from SPCA and she is only about 3-6 months herself.
Is this why they are small?
I have been giving her everything she needs, and even giving her Alsoy and helping feed the babies.

****. I copied the wrong adress. :p

this pic
32.jpg

Best I got!

I am feeding them soy baby formula.
I am feeding it to mom, too.
However, babies are now licking apple sauce and yogurt from my fingertips.

All this talking made me want to go see them, and Darwin the little black one (one of the two I am keeping) His eyes are open!
OMG he is so cute.

Is that the little fella on the left? He looks like a smallish runt, and sometimes they stay smaller than their siblings, sometimes are the same and sometimes end up a little bigger :)

Oh I missed that.

Yeah, a young mom with a big litter would have some smaller than normal babies. They are sooo super cute!

Back