Doxycycline Safe with Dairy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Ratguide.com is constantly updating their information. I was looking for recommended dosages for tetracycline for a post I was doing up ("rats won't drink medicated water" :doh:) and found this little excerpt

Because the tetracyclines are absorbed mostly in the small intestine, their absorption can be impaired by food, and dairy products. Tetracyclines all chelate with the metals, and therefore should not be given at the same time as aluminum, magnesium, or calcium containing antacids, or ferrous sulfate (example: multivitamins).

A notable exception to the above is that of Doxycycline which can be given with food or dairy since it is only about 20% hindered by their intake, and not deemed to be clinically significant. 6

Interesting. :thumbup:

Very interesting indeed!

Of course rats wont drink doxy tainted water. That would be disgusting. *puke*

moon said:
Very interesting indeed!

Of course rats wont drink doxy tainted water. That would be disgusting. *puke*

Actually it was 500 mg tetracycline capsules...put into their water once every 6 weeks!! Thats a model for bacteria!

As far as I am aware, trained pharmacists still say no dairy with doxycycline. I just picked some up last week in fact and the pharmacist made sure to tell me not to give it with dairy. I would go with the advice of many doctors and pharmacists, rather than one rat guide article personally.

I will still check with Karen on this, and see if the actual doxy article on ratguide says it also...

I won't give dairy/calcium with my meds usually but its good to know it might not deactivate it as much as we all feared.

I just like throwing this stuff out there for discussion, maybe its something that I missed. :)

It is good to know it isn't as bad as some feared but since it does affect the meds, better not to give dairy within 2 hours of giving meds as a general rule of thumb, imo. :)

I am really glad to know that the calcium only affects the Doxy by 20%, but even so I'd rather have it work at full strength.

That stuff is so bitter, no wonder they won't drink it in water! My Angela can detect 1 ppm of the stuff unless I use megadoses of sweetener.

Pharmacists in Australia and the MIMS (the Australian medication database used my medical and nursing staff ) say it's fine to give doxy with dairy but not with iron suppliments and antacids. With humans, doxy should be given with food as it causes nausea so I apply this same principal with the rats.

Personally I always give my antibiotics with food (mainly soy milk) to avoid stomach upsets and it's easier to hide the meds in food. The rats improve with the antibiotics so I can assume that the food does not interefere with it's absorption in any significant way.

Back