Doxy Dosage? Says to put in water?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

I just received my order of a 50ml bottle of doxy for my girl. It says for rodent:

0.15ml (3 drops) per 100ml of drinking water. Treat daily for 7 days. Change water daily and keep out of direct sunlight.

I thought I wasnt suppose to put it in water. And it didnt come with a syringe either so I dont know how much im giving her. Can someone help me?

You should be able to get syringes at a drug store.

And you got it right, you don't want it in the water. We'll need the concentration of the doxy, as well as rattie weights to help you calculate.

If it's the same Doxy as I have it should be 50 mg/mL. The dose for a rat is 2.5 mg twice daily.
That means that 1 mL of your Doxy would be 20 doses for a rat. It's very concentrated. What you want to do is mix the 1 mL of Doxy with 4 mL of other fluid - I recommend 2 mL of water and 2 mL of strawberry syrup - or something else that's sweet. You now have 5 mL of fluid. Divided by 20 your dose will .25 mL. So you will give your rat .25 mL of your prepared medication twice daily. Make sure you shake it before you measure each dose in case the ingredients settle.

Ask your pharmacist for needleless 1 mL syringes. They're the best for measuring rat doses cause it have the tiny measurements.

Ok, so I went to my pharmacist and asked for the syringes and she said they are out of stock and will get some in within the next 2 weeks. I cant seem to find them anywhere else unless they have a needle.

Can I use teaspoon measuements or smething? Could I do it by the drop?

You can use one of those syringes to measure out the amount until the other type gets in.

If you measure it out with the syringe with the needle, you can squirt it into a small dish or spoon, and mix a couple of drops of strawberry quick, a drop or two of water and a bit of baby cereal to make a nice little treat for her.

Like SQ said, you can still pull up your meds using the needle too... but don't give it to the rats with the needle, squirt it in a spoon with yummy stuff.

I've had pretty good luck breaking the needle off insulin syringes by keeping the cap on and just bending it back and forth. It's nice because they come in 1/2ml size which normal syringes do not.

i have the needles now i just need to kno where to get the doxy for my own new addition

(a friend of mine -who should never gotten a rat in the first place because she always gets then 'gifts away' her pets loved my guys and went out and got one herself.. the little girl is sneezing and rubbing her nose a lot and after i told her she probably needed to have the rattie vetted she basically dumped her on me ..oy ) :redhot:

id appreciate if anyone could tell me where to order it online or better yet if anyone knows of any pet stores that carry it inhouse in the states -im going to take the little one to the vet next week as well but would like to get her started on something sooner than later

thanks so much!

i found someplace online that sells it so all is good ... if anyone else needs the info, u can always either private message me or email me and ill share the link

Back