Downsizing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I currently have 7 rats ..the boyfriend and I have decided that we won't be getting anymore until we are down to 3. We want to stay at 4 ..just because it is more managable ..with trying to save up for a house of our own. We never want anything to happen to the ones we have now, we just wont add anymore until were down to 3.

I know what you mean...I now have 5 rats and find it a good number...5 and under for me....It is easier to give them lots of attention...

Dahlas said:
I know what you mean...I now have 5 rats and find it a good number...5 and under for me....It is easier to give them lots of attention...

Yeah ..even with 7 I find it much easier than when I was at 10. So I'm thinking 4 will be a perfect number. I can give them the attention they need ..not thet they don't get it now ..because they do ..but its hard!

Have so many is hard, esp when you have a lot of them who are old or sick! after the year I have put in, I need a break!

My magic number is 8. I'm really comfortable with that financially and it's still plenty enough to be swarmed by them during out time. lol

Hmmmm ..... I would like to get down to 6
....... but then I learn of a rat who is in a life or death situation and .....
well ........ if no one else will help .......

SQ said:
Hmmmm ..... I would like to get down to 6
....... but then I learn of a rat who is in a life or death situation and .....
well ........ if no one else will help .......

I know what you mean, SQ. :sad3: I am at my limit now with 7 sweeties and I think this is manageable for me, personally. :)

I think it's good to give yourself limitations. With your goal of buying your own house, it is the most responsible thing to do to bring down your numbers. :thumbup: But I know there will be many temptations, unfortunately. :gaah:

Nickelrat said:
I think it's good to give yourself limitations. With your goal of buying your own house, it is the most responsible thing to do to bring down your numbers. :thumbup: But I know there will be many temptations, unfortunately. :gaah:

oh lots! but I guess part of being responsible is to do what you need to do! I will not go on kijiji anymore because I know its tempting. But once I get my house ..I'll most likly have bigger numbers again ..I do miss having a group of 10 ..but I really am enjoying my smaller numer ..but I don't only have the rats ..I still have 2 bunnies, 2 hamsters, 2 newts and 4 gerbils!

I won't be adding to any of that either ..I'll always have rats ..but these bunnies, hamster and gerbils are my last! It's just to much to handle!

Trying to get down to 4 as well, but it's soooo hard! I love having 6 or 8 but I have to be realistic and admit I don't have enough time, and the vet bills are REALLY adding up. Plus, when 5 are sick at once like I had in the winter... this is too stressful. I am currently at 6 and by planning a boy to keep Chester company once Pollux is gone, I will go up to 8 :wallbang:

But after those two (Tanner and Caramel, for those who didn't see my second falling in love with NB rats), I'll be settled for a while. 5 girls and 3 boys. Or most likely 4 girls and 4 boys since getting Caramel will be an issue (can't keep her with Tanner as they will be too old, can't introduce her to my crew until 2 weeks after she would get here cause she is too young, so I would have to keep both as solos for 2 to 3 weeks... :( )

I certainly LOVED having my large group of rats...I was at 14.....but I was at three for a while and really found that the best...they got lots of attention and care....I have now added two babies to my oldies and it helps liven things up for everyone....

It is so sad there are so many needy rats but I have long ago learned you can not save them all......I would be overwhelmed if I took in every needy cat, dog and rat that was on kijji so I just don't look.....I can't. It is to easy to say "just one more" but it is not fair to anyone to take on more then you can manage.....

Someday I would like to maybe adopt a pregnant momma and give a home to a complete family....but that is hopefully a few years down the road...

thats the way I look at it to Dalhas!

and Unepuce I agree, vet bills are out of control when you have a lot and half of them are sick ..thats what brought me to this
decision ...its just to hard on the pocket, the heart and the brain!

With a smaller number, I can spend one on one time again with them ..when I was at 10 ..one on one time was hard!

Dahlas said:
Someday I would like to maybe adopt a pregnant momma and give a home to a complete family....but that is hopefully a few years down the road...

I would love to foster a preggo mama too. But I know it would be real hard to let the babies go - and for sure I would end up adopting the mom. Maybe when I am close to retirement... or win the lottery... or have 4 (or 6...) oldies and know I will have to start from scratch soon...

Yeah we all have our limits to fit our life styles and of course our tolerance LOL. Mine I believe its 3 or 4 mostly because I'm single and work about 12 hrs a day. This way I can give them "their" time.

Back