Double Rex and Hairless rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caeser

So im not going to rush into getting more rats, but i would like to get another one eventually.

My question is about double rex and hairless rats. Is there any special care involved with them that differs from regular rats. are they prone to any skin type illness, and can they get sick easier than a regular furry rat.

Some of my hairless rats are prone to keratinous cysts, and some nakies have eye issues with debris getting in under their lids (no eyelashes). I would NOT keep nakies on wood chips after seeing the state of my nakies when they were rescued. Other than that, I keep them the same as any other rat.

I will add to Joanne's post that nakies seem to have a higher metabolism, so they often eat more and poop more :) Because they don't have fur for protection expect scratches, and also they need warm covered up hammocks (like pockets or deckers or cubes) to keep their body heat in with. Even in summer these nakies will still be going into things...

Since they are prone to eye problems - worse case scenario you need to have an enucleation that will cost you about a $1,000 or more. From your brief past on this forum, I think you better just stick with the two you have until you have saved up a substantial vet fund.

Most nakies don't have eye issues BUT if you're unlucky and get one of them that does...you could be in a lot of trouble. I wish breeders (both "legit", hobby and backyard/millers) would stop breeding nakies due to their issues, especially in Ontario. :(

Shar had to remove BOTH of her girls eyes due to issues (as you said dpsch..$1000's of dollars in surgery, antibiotics, follow-up visits and pain meds).

I have owned 8 nakies & so far no eye problems. And I sure hope it stays that way! But I am sure that eye problems will soon appear on the growing list of the ailments that me & my babies have had to deal with. Not just nakies but all ratties. I guess the more you own - the higher the chance of "someone" getting "something" wrong with them.

I have two nakies right now. They have a huge appetite and always have gunk around their eyes when they first wake up. They also love cube hammocks. I rarely see them use the flat hammocks possibly because they get colder then my furry babies.

Back