dosage confusion - trimethoprim sulfa

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

My vet told me it was okay to go ahead and start a couple of my boys on this and whipped up a big batch of it for me to pick up when I was picking up Eugene from necro. I got weights on the kids and pull up ratguide dosing and am totally confused. I already left a message at the vet, but he is closed tomorrow and even though I plan to keep calling, I am a bit paranoid about it he doesn't get back to me.

When I looked at the bottle this morning it said "trimethsulfa 48mg/ml".
Wasn't expecting to look at Ratguide and see so many different strengths listed. I don't know which one mine is or what the guidelines are for it.

Then I looked at this, which says 15mg/lb BID, PO .15cc/lb
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm
Is this correct?

If it helps, the label on it has the dosage for Eugene at .35cc BID based on his last vet weigh in of ~530g.

On a sidenote - does amikacin effect mycoplasma? I am not convinced that we aren't dealing with it. We are waiting for a culture result, hopefully Monday, so vet said to stick with trimeth + nebulized amikacin and we'll switch if culture indicates we should, but if we are dealing with myco and neither of these drugs target it, I'm scared we're wasting time. Eugene and Moo did not respond much to doxy/enro so we moved on to other things but nothing really seemed effective. They both presented with lower resp symptoms only, no sneezing/wheezing/snuffling/discharge/etc. For both their only symptom was slightly increased resp rate with little lung sound and they were both immediately put on meds. They both ended up with abscesses.

MAGIC. Pure magic...I mean, I know there were probably numbers involved in finding your conclusion, but my feeble little numerically challenged brain struggles to grasp such concepts...

THANK YOU

it's called Excel LOL. I made up a program and all I do is enter the weight, the concentration and the recommended dosage (mg/kg).

When trying to figure out what a rat is getting I just play with the recc. dosage number.

NOT a math wiz...makes my head ache, hence I created the excel sheet :D

it's called Excel LOL. I made up a program and all I do is enter the weight, the concentration and the recommended dosage (mg/kg).

When trying to figure out what a rat is getting I just play with the recc. dosage number.

NOT a math wiz...makes my head ache, hence I created the excel sheet :D

That's awesome! I totally need something like that. Although I do have a genuine interest in actually learning and understanding these things.

I was thinking earlier how cool it would be if someone designed an app for rat med dosing. We could all use something like that, if it was well designed.

Missed your question on amikacin.

from ratguide:

Amikacin’s use can include coverage against some aerobic Gram-positive bacteria,which include E.coli, klebsiella, proteus, pseudomonas, salmonella, enterobacter, serratia and mycoplasma.

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.

@ Jo - we had tried baytril, doxy and Zithromax with the past two boys and has switched to the tmz just before Eugene died. Two more started w the same symptoms the day b4 he died (Monday) so vet said to just pick up with the meds we'd left off w for Eugene and depending on how they are mon and what the culture tells us we will reevaluate what meds we need.

Back