Don't have much time

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

sorry for the shortness but i am dealing with a minor crisis here is the short version

mrs sniffles has been bad for a while pretty much chronic resp now she is all skin and bones and can't eat solid food probably muscle detiriation and much more. i have:

ensure plus, baby formula soy based, avacado, canned ham and chicken how much water to baby formula should i do for her and what can i mix the avacado with tyo make it mushy enough for her only straight fluids are being accepted right now pleae please help!!!i am also on messenger and will sign into the chat if that would be better hard to type and console her too

she is accepting the ensure but she is jsut sooo weak! i am really afraid i am going to loose her this time. she is moving around a little bit more than this morning but not as much as i woiuld like. how often should i be offering it to her?

I am getting the ensure plus into her now I have been offering it to her every twenty minutes or so and allowing her as much as she wants. She is in a carrier for now away form all other rats and loving the one on one attention. She seems to be a bit stronger but I am so worried. I have not seen her pee all day. I am offering her water all the time and she will take it some what. not very much. THe most she has drank is some of the Danimals yogurt where she drank about 2 cc's of it. She will eat about 2 cc's every twenty minutes of the ensure plus. I will probably stay up with her all night seeing as i can't sleep when my rats are ill.I am hoping to get her to eat some avacado before the end of the night since she is nothing but skin and bones. I don't even think she weighs six ounces right now. She has always been small but I can feel her hips and spine now.

I am not sure how old she is i have had her for about a year and she was at least a year when i got her. I don't have any olive oil on hand right now. Ijsut mixed up some ensure, water, brown rice baby ceral, avacado, and banana int e blendr and I am about to offer it to her. Here's hoping it tastes good to her cause it looks and smells AWFUL

Good luck stephanie...if anything I would continue with the Ensure or if you really feel she needs more hydration you could try her with the homemade rehydration formula...

Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed.

Thanks much lilspaz! she is drinking the mixture that looks and smells awful to me. I am taking her to the vets first thing tomorrow if she makes it through the night (i am pretty sure she will) I think that her cage mates were not allowing her to eat as well as not being able to get up the levels. she is alot more responsive now and after consulting with jorats and mamarat on the chatroom it looks like my girl may very well have PT. She is resting now and I am letting her be. I tried putting her sister with her to comfort her but she didn't even realize she was there. I also gave her a small sponge bath and got the extra porphyrin off of her face and paws. she tried to fight it at first but couldn't quite get her paws to the cloth for some reason they kept going to the side. She also peed and pooed in her carrier which is good news to me. It seems a little harder of a poo than normal but that may be due to all of the yogurt she had this morning. I will be crushing her labclocks in ensure tomorrow to be sure she gets that as well. Thanks to everyone that was so very helpful I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow and try and get a video of her tonight if she is feeling up to it. Normally she is the biggest ham ever but tonight I am not sure she will want to deal with it.

You are probably right that she has not been able to eat for a while. Sometimes it's not obvious for a couple of days when a rat with PT has trouble eating solid foods. They can run off with a piece of lab block, and look normal, then find out they can't eat it.

She is eating so well now that she will probably gain a lot of strength over the next few hours.

We're all thinking of her, and of you too. I also can't sleep when one of the girls is really sick, so it's a tough vigil ahead.

Well i got a video of her though i must warn everyone it is very very depressing!!! She was always the first rat out of the cage and onto the floor chasing the cats. She never stopped for scritches only treats and then just for a taste. I have been doing nothing but crying all dy when she is in her carrier and I will keep everyone posted on how she does through out the night. If she does cross the bridge I will post there as well.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t131 ... 2056-1.flv

Yep she's got head tilt. The videos do make it look like PT. I guess Jo and mamarat told you to see if you can get steroids and abs? This can really reduce the inflammation/pressure on the brain and even though its only palliative treatment, it can make them much more comfortable.

Well after the vet visit (mind you this is the crappy vet) she got a shot of prednisone and some vibramycin to take here at home. I have already called the good vet and will be expecting a phne call first thing tomorrow morning. She is showing no signs of improvement at the moment but I will keep everyone posted.

Just barely. I can't see ehr making it through the night again but then again this rat has amazaed me before. Also I am now dealing with resp. distress in her sister :( :cry3:

Back