Dolci July 2006 to January 8, 2008...She Learned to Love

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Dolci came to me in November of 2006 when a local shelter was full to the brim and she, her cagemate, 2 ratboys and 2 guineapigs were all slated for euthanasia to make room. AliceMcMallis took in the 2 ratboys and the 2 guineapigs into her rescue and I took in the 2 ratgirls. They were both rather spooky and Faline the fawn hooded was a tilty. Dolci was bug-eyed and very very nervous.

Sadly I wasn’t able to reach this girl. She couldn’t be held. She would have panic attacks that felt like seizures in your hand and would scream if restrained. L I felt terrible but we came to an understanding after many many months fraught with nerves on both sides. I would let her run, and when she decided it was okay, she would hunker down and nervously let me pick her up and put her back in her cage. No kisses on the back, no pats permitted…just that quick pickup and return to cage. She was happy with her cagemates and that was good with me.

This is my favourite picture of her and Faline together soon after I got them.
FalineandDolci.jpg

This is a typical Dolci look and stance…
Dolcifreezing.jpg

Such a pretty little girl when she was more relaxed, but it sure wasn’t around people :p
Dolcionthetable.jpg

Comfy with new friends
sleepyfaces.jpg

Getting braver…finally settling down on Oct. 2nd.
DolcinormalOct2.jpg

Finally a rat that will let me hold her and not freak out
Dolcinow.jpg

And then she got ill…and became the ultimate cuddlebug. She had never let me cuddle, stroke or kiss her before. She soaked it up completely. I think that’s why she stuck around for so long. :heart:
DolcitestbitingDec30.jpg

Say hello to Selene, Pippens and Mattie for me my sweet!!!!

You really taught her love, you taught her goodness...
I'm so glad I got to meet her, to hold her and wish her farewell...
Have fun sweet girl.

I am sorry Shelagh that Dolci has left you. But only temporarily. You brought her along ways with your love, support and understanding. Take Care.

Ann

So very sorry.
Doci :heart: , such a little character and a very sweet girl.
Thanks for sharing your memories and the beautiful pics.

I'm so sorry :cry:
It seems those that make us earn their love & trust rather than giving it easily burrow especially deep in our hearts. So often even the life-long standoffish ones become especially close to us at the end by their own choice, I have to think they loved & trusted us all along but couldn't give up their dominance over us by letting us know - until they knew inside they had a lot they wanted to return in a little time left.
I guess she had a lot of love to give you. I'm glad for you both that she was able to have the time to do it.

You endeared your Dolci girl to many of us here (I hope she doesn't mind knowing now how much love went out to her :) ). And so much love & empathy goes out to you at this time..

Patience is a beautiful trait to possess when dealing with animals.

We often don't know where they've been or what they have suffered so it is virtually impossible to be able to plan their route to recovery. We have to take things day by day and be able to understand where they could be coming from.

Most of you, on here, never cease to amaze me with your incredible and endearing feats when it comes to caring for the fragile little souls in your care. :love6:

Never forget the beauty of who you are and what you do for our little loved ones. It takes special people to love nature's smaller inhabitants and we do that here.

We are allowed to grieve when they leave us. They take a part of us with them when they go and they are well aware of it. An animal's devotion will see them waiting for us when our turns come.

I, for one, will never regret the tears I shed on behalf of those we strive so hard to care and provide for. It hurts to lose them... but it heals to love them. :love6:

Back