Dog vaccinations. What?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say... You can't throw every person who doesn't vaccinate into the same bag... Myself and most of my friends do not vaccinate yet we certainly regularly take our pets to the vet.

So don't think that people who don't vaccinate, neglect their pets. Nor am I not vaccinating to save a few bucks. Nor am I uneducated about it.

My dog does not do well with vaccinations. At 6 months of age, the vet was going to put him on a daily regiment of antihistamines and steroids for the rest of his life. There is no doubt in my mind that esp. the steroids would have taken a serious toll on his health over the years. It wasn't an option for us.

So we decided to switch him to raw and within 2 weeks his health issues disappeared.

Until we vaccinated him again at age 1. It wasn't as bad as after his puppy shots and I credit raw for that. Yet the reactions were severe enough for concerns and so I started digging.

There is a lot of excellent info out there, here's just some of the few articles: http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/education

There's those who are in favor for annual vaccines, those who want to do it every 3 years, some say puppy vaccines & 1 yr booster then titers, some puppy vaccines & then titers only and some go as far as saying no vaccines at all.

Geographical area and local laws are another thing to consider.

Heartworm was mentioned... in Vancouver we don't have heartworm so why would I apply a pesticide to my dog to prevent something that isn't a threat? If I lived in the Southern US, you bet... I would use heartworm prevention!

Do your research, form your own opinion. If you have further questions locate a holistic vet in your area and make an appointment.

We feed raw, we don't vaccinate and our holistic vet is completely supportive. My dog and cat are both extremely healthy.

littledevils said:
Do your research, form your own opinion. If you have further questions locate a holistic vet in your area and make an appointment.

We feed raw, we don't vaccinate and our holistic vet is completely supportive. My dog and cat are both extremely healthy.

My vet, who is in no way a holistic vet, has been completely 100% supportive of all the decisions I've made for my dogs, whether it be vaccination regime, heartworm preventative (or lack thereof) and diet.

I think the recommended puppy regime can be over kill. Numerous combo shots can be overkill on the system. Tungsten got a single parvo, a single distemper, and then later a single combo shot at 16 weeks. I did not give him his rabies until a year old. All his titres have come back strong. So many puppies have trouble when vaccines are lumped together.

I follow a minimal vaccine regime with both my cat and my dog. Neither one of them got any more shots after their one-year boosters. My dog gets his rabies vaccine everything years, but only because it's the law. Otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten that after one year either.

My pets DO go see their vet at least once a year for a wellness check up, though, regardless of health. A vet will have a lot easier time spotting changes in a pet they see a few times a year than one they only see every few years. The rats would get yearly wellness checks, too, but let's face it. Getting a rat who only sees the vet once a year is like winning the lottery.

Back