does this seem "mean"?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been reading the Lab Rat Chronicles, interesting stuff except that it makes me sick reading about what they do to these lab rats

however trying to concentrate on what they learned, they studied what they referred to as "trust fund rats"- rats who have everything they needed given to them, primarily food
and their "country cousins" who had to work for their food, and they found that the ones who worked for their food did much better, well I don't recall all the particulars right now :lol:

but basically the message was that you are MORE stressed if you just have everything given to you and don't have to work for anything. So, I decided to make it harder for my boys to get their food. Up til now, they had food readily available but I made them work for treats.

So I put their food in several different places, some easy to access with a little bit of effort (like inside an egg carton, that is easy to tip over to get the food out, or chew thru to make the holes bigger)
Then I put some in a couple of different treat balls made for cats- you have to roll the ball to get the food out

and I put some inside those little plastic eggs, which they have a hard time opening (my girls had no problem with the eggs, these boys seem to prefer to move them around instead of trying to get them open lol)
I also put some food out in the open but in places that were unfamiliar, like inside a tube that I jsut hung up etc.

When I did all this last night, I knew that they both had eaten well and shouldn't be hungry right away.

So this morning I check and they have found and eaten or hoarded the food that was the easiest to get to, but the plastic eggs are neatly piled in a corner (Dre did that Im' sure LOL)
and the treat balls still have quite a bit left in them.

Now, to my question: would it be "mean" to make them find the rest of the food before I give them more?

I want my rats to have healthy challenges to keep them stimulated and mentally healthy, but I don't want to stress them too much.

How do you determine what is too much stress?

The book I"m reading would be no help. as much as the author says she loves rats, she has no problem doing some pretty awful things to them in the name of "science"
I don't doubt that they learn a lot from these experiments but it's very hard to read about what these poor animals go thru, very hard.

I have noticed that these two boys give up fairly quickly when something seems too hard. For example, I'll put some treats inside a cardboard tube and then inside fleece, and hang it like I've always done for my girls and my last mixed group.
My past rats chewed thru those in no time, Norry and Dre dont' bother, they go looking for something easier.
It doesn't even matter if I put something esp tasty inside, they just give it a half hearted try and give up.

Do you think they can learn to try harder?

What you are doing is actually the best thing ever for any animal. Working for their food is quite gratifying. It also works up an appetite instead of eating out of boredom. If it gets too hard, you will know when they become disinterested or depressed. Rats... wild rats can get into just about anything because they have motivation. Our pet rats lack motivation because everything is handed to them and then some.
You continue like this and you will have two of the very most healthy and happy rats.

exercise creates Endorphins... Endorphins make rats happy....happy rats don't shoot their owners.... they just don't. :laugh4:

Sorry....watched "Legally Blonde" over the weekend... modified the line, a little, obviously. :giggle:

jennifervb said:
exercise creates Endorphins... Endorphins make rats happy....happy rats don't shoot their owners.... they just don't. :laugh4:

Sorry....watched "Legally Blonde" over the weekend... modified the line, a little, obviously. :giggle:

never seen the movie but thinking maybe I should :giggle:

It's amazing how smart they are Godmother!

I recently got two
second hand books with an amazon credit I had.
The Lab Rat Chronicles, subtitlted A Neuroscientist Reveals Life Lessons from the Planets Most Successful Mammals
and at the same time ordered: The Mind and the Brain-Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force

and it turns out there's a whole lot of rat studies mentioned in the second book.

The very same day these came in the mail, I was up late and had a PBS channel on, and they were doing a story about animals and emotions and whatnot,
and they showed how a rat would release another rat who was confined in this tiny tube (just enough room to fit but no room to move or turn around etc)

the rat would go and release the other rat. Once they were sure the rats knew how to open the tubes, they put some chocolate chips in one of those tubes, and a rat in other tube.
They're saying how rats LOVE chocolate chips so they really thought the rat would get the chocolate and to heck with the rat stuck in the tube-
but they rat let the other rat out first!
then he/she went and ate slightly more than half of the chocolate chips, leaving the rest for the other rat!!!!

after seeing they way some of my rats will fight over food, this totally amazed me!
not only do they "rescue" the trapped rat first, they share the chocolate chips with him.

they are such awesome creatures! we really could learn a lot from them!

I would think they'd probably enjoy the intellectual stimulation, given their intelligence. I may try some of this myself, as they can get bored with the 'day in, day out' routine. I take mine for bike rides in a bike cage and out on the porch, and out to sit with us in the backyard when we have camp fires (in their carriers) to try and bring different activities into their day. But this sort of thing is like a rat's Rubix Cube or a good game of checkers or chess. I imagine they get quite the kick out of it! :D

this is a form of enrichment, which is so important, most Zoo's are adopting this method with their animals, I saw where the keepers hid food and smeared honey all around the trees of the bear enclosures, then released the bears and they loved looking and hunting for their food, and even finding yummy honey too... also their large meat sources were usually fed individually, as they probably would cause fights.

Petunia said:
jennifervb said:

never seen the movie but thinking maybe I should :giggle:

You should see it, Petunia! It is an older film (2001), and your typical "chick flick", but Reese Witherspoon is just precious in it.... along with her Chihuahua named Bruiser. :love6:

sounds like a lovely enrichment game. mine have bird toys that hide the treat&they love that. everyone loves the plastic easter eggs here too. I love games&so do my rats. if yours are anything like mine you'll KNOW if they protest!

:wallbang: I never thought of this! Here I am thinking I'm doing the best thing shoving some food (good healthy, yummy food) under their noses everyday when I should be making it more interesting and 'nature-like' for them. Thanks Petunia, I'll see what I can come up with. Like you though, I'd be concerned if they're getting their proper nutrition and it's mean to do this. I'm the first one to check if they've eaten and if not, WHY not. I'm a paranoid rat parent. :nod:

Bundyrats said:
:wallbang: I never thought of this! Here I am thinking I'm doing the best thing shoving some food (good healthy, yummy food) under their noses everyday when I should be making it more interesting and 'nature-like' for them. Thanks Petunia, I'll see what I can come up with. Like you though, I'd be concerned if they're getting their proper nutrition and it's mean to do this. I'm the first one to check if they've eaten and if not, WHY not. I'm a paranoid rat parent. :nod:

oh don't worry, I thought the same thing, make sure they've got plenty of food. My first rats were severely overweight because they always looked SO hungry, and no matter how much I gave them, they wanted more. :roll:

I thought they must be starving! little buggers had me fooled, I didn't know rats *always* act like they are starving. :lol:

I'm pleased to report that this is going very well!
I was worried they wouldn't figure out the treat balls, one of them has to be rolled over and then back again, to release the food,
the other one just needs to be rolled in one direction.

They had some food available to them in hoard pile that Dre had made, but they still rolled those balls around ALL night long, getting the food out them (I sleep next to the cage, so that's all I heard, ALL night long :lol: ) and left the hoard pile alone!

It seems they actually PREFER to have to work for their food.
Now that they've figured the treat balls out, I'm going to have to find other things to make it more challenging.

I think I'll look into some of the bigger bird toys. :wink2:

I don't really have any great ideas for my rats in terms of "hiding" their food. I've done the easter egg trick, and the "toilet paper tube" trick.. but they easily get to them now.

we should post some great ideas for things like this!! I'd love to give my rats new ways to get to their food :)

yes I agree, my boys figured out the treat balls so fast! I am having a hard time coming up with something harder

but I did notice that changing their cage around OFTEN, like almost every day, making at least some small change, seems to get them to explore more

they are very lazy boys lol

My girls are lazy with the treat balls. I'll put one in the cage, they will go after it, but Queen, the alpha of the group, will take it. And instead of figuring out how to open it, she just bites a hole in the bottom and pulls them out. :lol:

Great idea! If you want to make it more challenging, suspend the toilet paper roll of food using a string from the top of the cage, or a platform. Make it so that they have to climb to it, or even have to pull or chew through the rope. You'll end up with little Einsteins if you keep making the challenges harder! I even saw a rat maze in the pet shop once. And also this really cool rat toy where you put food in little holes and the holes are covered with a disc. However, the dish with food in it is a bit bigger than the covering disc, so if they push the disc around, eventually they will uncover the little hole with food in it.

This is a great post I like every ones ways of enriching their ratties with new ways of working for and finding food. I thought I'd give my rats some thing a wee bit more challenging last night so I put their treats in a egg box and placed it in the cage, there are a few chews in the box but they must have gave up too easy, lazy bums! I'll leave it in the cage the next few days and see if they get the urge to check whats inside.

I thought about making a maze with Legos.. but alas my childhood lego collection is nothing more then random bits and pieces... so not gonna happen...

Back