Does this cage work for a 37 and 20 month old?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

I moved my two boys from their DCN into a single. I felt it was just too much room for my oldie to handle. He gets around really well considering his age, but he underestimates his age and I want to keep him safe. He is 37 months and will jump from the bottom level of the CN onto the floor if I'm not watching him. He moves around like a young rat would, but is quite wobbly. So his safety is my main priority. I tried to make the cage safe for him, but still work for his friend (who is 20 months).

There is usually food and water on every level, I was washing the bowls when I took the picture. They also usually have fleece liners but it's wash night tonight. Looking at the picture, I need to lower the blue hammock.

DSC_0452.jpg

Itf they are having problems with mobility I would lower the hammocks with a few more rings to make it easier to get into. We have two ramps in our oldies cage but no hammocks really. They dont seem to go up in them.

I think that looks fine. Edit: except to also agree with what's already been said about lowering the hammocks. Does the older guy have HED?

Keep an eye in the ramp covers - some rats pull-tug them down, exposing the bars, which could be a danger to HED oldies.

Also be mindful of holes they chew in the fleece. It can be harder for an older rat to disentangle himself if he gets stuck.

I have 2 boys, now 28 months, with moderate HED. Ox got his foot caught in the ramp ladder in their single FN a while back, snapped his leg in half. He has healed since (with a deformed leg) but it could have been prevented in a single level cage, or if I had checked more frequently on the ramp covers - they yanked them off constantly and exposed the bars.

If your old boy is still ambulating well, just keep am eye on safety and that set up should be okay. Lots of "safety net" hammocks are a good idea if he's a bold jumper. It's also good for the younger lad, since he prob still needs the space the bounce around.

I think that looks fine. Edit: except to also agree with what's already been said about lowering the hammocks. Does the older guy have HED? ....

I lowered the hammocks. My old boy never uses them anymore, he always use to, now he just sleeps in his house. To my knowledge he doesn't have HED but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty lucky in that my boys never touch the fleece. They don't chew it at all so I don't have to worry about that.

Yeah my younger boy is still active and has no trouble getting around. So I want to make sure the cage is fun for him, while being safe for his friend.

Back