Does Revo ever NOT work?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

My two boys have some type of small white buggies. I dosed them with revo, but the bugs never seemed to go away, and two weeks later, they still had bugs and were scratching. So they got another dose of revo. Now it's been a week since the second dose and they still are scratching, and I can still see some white buggies.

I'm very careful about anything I bring into their cage.. nothing from a pet store, even the cardboards I use in their cage are frozen for a week before using them.. is it possible there are bugs in their litter or food? and even if so, why isn't the Revo working?

Has anyone had the experience where revolution did not work? Any ideas on what might be happening here?

Stick the bugs to a piece of tape so you can examine them more easily, use a magnifying glass if you have one. Are they actually bugs or white dry flaked off skin? If you can see them on your rat, they're likely lice.

Revo has always worked for me, and there are others on the forum with more experience of it.

Worth finding out if the Revo was from a bad batch or whether the bugs are not lice. Good luck solving the mystery.

Yes, once a long time ago, I did revo on a bunch of rats and it didn't do anything. So a couple of weeks later I did ivermectin and it worked. But every other time I used Revo, it worked. Weird that the one time it didn't.

You should watch how often you use the revo too I think you can overdose them on it if its used to often. At least that is what one vet told us.

Revo's actually quite safe and can be given weekly. While it's not labelled for use in rats, all the safety testing they did to determine it's safety with cats and dogs was on rats.

There is a study I read that 12 mg/kg was more effective on mice than 24 mg/kg on mice. Sometimes they need 3 treatments, especially at higher doses. Ivermectin has a broader range of parasites it's effective on but it's not as safe.

If you are treating with Revo at least monthly, it should not make a difference if you bring in more parasites, they should die once they feed.

If you've dosed properly and the Revo doesn't seem to help, you should probably go to the vet and get some Ivermectin to try.

Just thought I'd update this thread.. After the second dose of Revo, about a week later, looks like the buggies are gone. Phew! Thanks everyone for your feedback/advice!

btw, in answer to your question
Yes, bugs can be in their litter.
It is recommended that after purchase litter be frozen for 72 hours to kill any parasites that may be in it, before you use it.

Back