Does anyone know about serratia marcescens ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Anyone know anything about about the bacteria serratia marcescens ?
Turns out it, or at least the version that affects people, is not killed by bleach, etc. And it is resistent to most antibiotics.

It does respond to gentamicin (and related meds) and to chloramphenicol.

Wondering how long it can live outside the body, etc.

Good to know Shelagh ... thanks.

My vet did some research and said that it (the human variety?) is not killed by bleach.

Edit: I have been doing some reading and there is only the human form. It is a fairly common bacteria. It lives in many places including in soil and in water.

Are you sure Shelagh? I did read the article you posted the link to.
The experiments were done by middle or high school students. http://web.horacemann.org/

The strain being experienced by the medical profession in hospitals is resistent to many things and it sounds like it is not killed by bleach. Quaternary ammonium compounds if used in high enough concentrations will kill it but it also appear to corrode metal and loses its strength when cloth is put into it.

I am finding all of this very confusing ...

Full strength bleach will kill everything as it actually dissolves proteins. ie: it sterilizes, not just disinfects.
From Wikipedia:
"Bleach
Chlorine bleach is another accepted liquid sterilizing agent. Household bleach consists of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. It is usually diluted to 1/10 immediately before use; however to kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis it should be diluted only 1/5, and 1/2.5 (1 part bleach and 1.5 parts water) to inactivate prions. The dilution factor must take into account the volume of any liquid waste that it is being used to sterilize.[10] Bleach will kill many organisms immediately, but for full sterilization it should be allowed to react for 20 minutes. Bleach will kill many, but not all spores. It is highly corrosive and may corrode even stainless steel surgical instruments.

Bleach decomposes over time when exposed to air, so fresh solutions should be made daily."

To properly sterilize a surface, it should be cleaned first before the sterilizing agent is applied.

Thank you for the info. Shelagh & Joanne.
It doesn't sound like it would be healthy for a cage in strong concentrations as it corrodes metal.
Perhaps it is the serratia marcescens spores that it doesn't kill?
Sorry, I know I sound really stupid ... hopefully some sleep will help improve that.

If anyone knows more info. about this bacteria, please let me know.
thanks

I am having some serious internet issues right now, most sites won't load...so I cannot do as much googling pasting for you...

Wiki answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens

Once established, complete eradication of the organism is often difficult, but can be accomplished by application of a bleach-based disinfectant.

Ugh and thats' all that will load for me...sigh. :/

Here's an interesting read on serratia marcescens:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hard+surf ... a014983147
Apparently vinegar can reduce the microbial contamination. But the lowest counts were achieved by commercial products.
In this study, "four alternative cleaning products were used on the simulated bathroom soil with microbial agent: lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda and borax. Two liquid commercial cleaners were used: Spic and Span Spic and Span brand of household cleaner. [Trademarks: Crowley Trade, 546] with Pine |R~ and Clorox Clean-Up |R~, a registered disinfectant, Comet |R~ with bleach, a dry cleanser registered as a disinfectant. Water was used as a control. ..."
Using the commercial cleaners were much more effective on the bacteria.

Thanks.
Good that the chlorine in tap water kills it, but frightening that it will get in the water after it has been left standing for 30 min.s - so much for water dishes .... it is in spring water, well water etc. And it is airborne ... didn't know that. Kind of frightening, especially when I look at poor Johnny's testicles.

Great link, you posted, jorats ( http://edenprairieweblogs.org/scottneal/post/1338/ ) for dealing with it in your home ... haven't seen any sign of it in this apartment but guess I will be doing my best to scrub down cages just in case. Although, if I do not see and red or pink "slime" over a period of time, that should mean it isn't present ... (Never seen the signs they speak of near my rats or their cages or in this apartment.)

The strain in medical situations must be a lot more resistant, otherwise it would be causing a lot of very resistant infections like my 4 neutered boys had/have.
My vet said some strains are very resistant and some of the few antibiotics used against it are becoming less effective. It is one of the types of bacteria they have problems with in hospitals, etc.

Aha! That's the pink slime that grows inside my doggies' water dish at work! Hmmmm........
So maybe giving the ratties distilled water isn't so great? I suppose if the dish is washed frequently in hot, soapy water it should be fine.

I would think that distilled water shouldn't have any bacteria in it as it has been evaporated and then condensed.
Contamination would come from the environment.

Asked my vet again about it when I picked up the 3 that had surgery today.
His research was within medical and vet. articles. The strain that is causing medical problems in hospitals etc is not killed by bleach.

Hoping my guys have a less resistent, more common everyday strain of this bacteria.

Back