Do you know of Vets who visit your home?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnikki

My ratty boys are in good health; however, they are past the one year mark now and I have wanted to take them in to the vet for a checkup. But - they are not as brave as my girls before them were, and I am scared a vet visit will stress them out too much.

Do you know of any vets in the lower mainland of BC (Vancouver, Surrey, Langley, White Rock) who will visit my home to do a check up on my boys to minimize the stress for them? My vet does not do home visits.

No, sorry.
When I take my rats to the vet - their friends come along, they have lots of fleece, places to hide and treats.
I find that going to the vets isn't very stressful for them .... of course they get used to it by going along with their friends.

jorats said:
Wow, I didn't know there were still mobile vets around.
My vet is mobile and I find more and more are going in that direction. No "regular" paycheque and you don't have to split your fee's with a clinic. The price is crazy tho, cost me $135.00 to clip the teeth of a dwarf hamster.....and that was discounted! Sorry I can't recommend anyone for you missnikki, as I don't live in BC but at work we send alot out that way so I'll keep my eyes open and post when I come across any. :D

You can try using Rescue Remedy to keep your boys calm when going to the vet. Even if you find a mobile vet that sees exotics, you may still need to take your boys to a clinic at some point (x-rays, surgery, etc.). Unless they have serious breathing issues, you may find that they fare better than you think. I take nervous rats to the vet all the time (90 minutes on transit one way) and they do fine.

Thanks so much for all of your advice and ideas. I appreciate it. :dance:

What would you recommend as a good transport cage/carrier for two VERY big boys? I have an old critter keeper I used for my girls but my boys are quite a bit larger :giggle:

I use a cat carrier! I highly recommend it as it's nice and cozy in there once you add some warm fleece and it cuts the wind for the most part and it makes them feel safe.
I used to use a small hamster cage, but it was all bars, so I had to wrap it with a blanket on cold days and on warm days, they felt exposed, so not very safe.

I use this one:
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/12 ... 6935855000

I have several of carriers and I use different one depending on the rat(s), the situation and length of time they'll be in there.

The Cabin Kennel is probably my favourite, I put towels/fleece on the bottom and an upside down organizer for them to hide in (the stackable ones from Dollarama). I use the small door on the top to put them in and open the top right up to take them out. http://www.petmate.com/cabin-kennels-2
21060_cabin_kennel_wire_top1.jpg

Cat carriers work well for most situations though, Some smaller rats can get through the grids of some carriers so that's something to keep in mind but it's not an issue with most adults. The rats are protected enough from the elements but there's still plenty of ventilation. If it's really windy or rainy, I cover it with a blanket.

Carriers like the top runner are also good: http://montrealcritters.com/store/top-runner They'll contain any sized rat and because they open at the top, it's easy to take rats out and put them in.

A Snuggle Safe or a heating pad is good to have, especially if you have a really sick rat and want to help them maintain their temperature. It may not be as big of a consideration in some parts of BC though.

I use a cat carrier also but I also have a fancy shmancy carrier made out of a soft canvas with a wool base. It's like the Taj Mahal of tents for little creatures.

Back