"do they feel pain"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a bit counter-productive to me. You just end up being like the one who initiated the insult. I just ignore people like that.

I just keep my love of rats pretty quiet. Inevitably when rats are brought up people break into stories about killing things. Sometimes stories about killing rats and mice, but other creatures as well. It is just so strange that people can't think of anything else to discuss with an animal lover except suffering and killing of animals. Very weird.
I just can't wrap my head around people's preoccupation with killing things, even spiders and whatnot which I adore, it makes me very sad and annoyed. I just don't want to hear it and it makes me want to tell them where to go.
So, I avoid the whole saddness and annoyance thing by keeping quiet.

Small breakthrough! I was at Great Pets (Local pet store, sells PETS doesn't have live feeders) last night and I had Brenna with me. The cashiers were fawning over her and talking about how cute and sweet she was. A little boy ran up and wanted to see her so I showed her to him. He was talking about how cute she was then he said "WOW!! Look at her tail, it's weird, huh?" I told him that while it may look a little strange, that it was her way of cooling herself off in the summer, keeping her balance etc, etc. (I don't need to tell you, you already know! LOL!!)

Anyhow, his mom comes over and she's fine with him petting Brenna, but she says "Eww!! Look at that tail!" The little boy turns around and repeats, in a very knowledgeable voice, what her tail is for and though it looks weird, she does need it and it's just as important as her paws and her nose!! What a great kid! I don't know if Mom really absorbed any of that information, but the boy certainly did!

Melissa said:
That is a bit counter-productive to me. You just end up being like the one who initiated the insult. I just ignore people like that.

You have a good point there. But sometimes it's so insulting to have comments made about it.

Right on Willow Bean! That's a seed that will keep growing. I bet he passes that on to other kids and increases the fascination and decreases the condemnation.

Back