"do they feel pain"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Bean

My boss is "not an animal person" meaning that she hates all animals and doesn't understand in the least why someone would want one (especially a rat!!) and she's always disgusted when I talk about my pets, so I don't talk about them anymore, but sometimes something exciting will happen with one of my rats or there will be a cute story and I want to share it. She never gets it, but she's usually pretty good about keeping her opinions to herself since I told her off one day. Anyhow, I was showing a coworker a picture of a cute rat on this forum and I said "isn't she cute" he says "Looks like snake food" so I told him that if he ever said that again around me that I would punch him. Anyhow, later, while I was looking at some more pictures, my boss sees a sick rattie and asks "can they feel pain" I was totally taken aback! I couldn't even believe how naive she is... I almost feel sorry for her! She once asked me what a dingo was... she only knew about them from Seinfeld!! ACK!! Get me out of this job!!

(Just needed to vent a little!!)

I forgot, my other boss, they are brother and sister, doesn't like animals either. When I told him about Willow's stillborn baby, the day after it happened, he had the flippin' nerve to say "That's so disgusting!" what is wrong with these people?!?

Same with me, I don't ever mention my rats. I just can't stand all the stupid ignorant comments.
It must be very frustrating for you.

I rarely talk about my guys even though i'm bursting with stories about them :( I just find it's easier to not talk than to deal with the negative reactions or worse have someone tell a horrible story about a wild one and how they "dealt" with it :shock: I'm better off telling you guys :D

I talk about my rats at work and show people pics and fora's on the internet, I tell them everything they want to hear and a little more. Ofcorse they laugh at me, but as I don't think I'm too strange it's ok. I start work in the city but sometimes I go on break on the contryside and it sure is different, country-side people are not at all interested and don't even laugh :?

Those people are just uninformed.. Don't let it bum you out, it's their loss not yours.

I talk about my rats all the time to anyone & everyone - maybe that's why I have no visitors? :lol:
I take any negative responses as a chance to share their wonderful qualities with people who don't see ratties as special or valuable. The more I can slip in the better chance of getting an interested "oh really"? to something.

Bad reactions are usually just ignorance about them and you can't change that if the subject never comes up. We always hear of someone getting won over, I never hear of anyone going from acceptance to dislike. Every effort put out is like casting a rod & reel, might get frustrating sometimes but sooner or later you catch something. And every one won over is a 'keeper' that might even pass on the message :D

I don't know why this is, but SQ often runs into people who don't care about animals... whereas I keep meeting people who are slaves to their pets, have all rescue animals, etc. Most of them are understanding about my rats, even if they would never want any for pets.

I am definitely "in the closet" about them at work, though! :roll:

I don't work, so maybe I'm missing something about what is 'acceptable' there or not, I read lots of stuff about troublesome co-workers totally unrelated to ratties where people have to pussy-foot rather than just speak out too.

Like mamarat said - That's why all my friends are ratties. I don't have to deal with this kind of sneak & hide stuff at home with them, I can talk to my ratties about the most vermin-like of people and they never dis them. :p

I talk about pet rats all the time 8)

I don't think rats are a pet for everyone but I do my best to educate people so that they will understand that rats are pets that deserve good treatment the same as other pets.

I can honestly say I don't think I have ever had a single person say something bad about my choice of pets. And I talk about my pet rats aaaall the time, since they are my only pets.

Even the people who would never think of owning a rat as a pet, and think they are disgusting just kinda say 'Oh really, you own rats' and then leave it at that.

And 90% of people I have talked to think it is interesting and want to know more.

Then again, I am usually not talking to anti-animal people in general, like poor Willow Bean's boss. If only she knew what she was missing!! I think it is kinda crazy how someone can not like animals. But then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just as some are entitled to think us crazy for owning ratties. ;)

I talk about my rats all the time at work. I get a few of the typical snake food comments, but mostly my co-workers' reactions range from shaking their head with amusement to genuine interest. A few of my co-workers ask about the rats regularly. And the pictures I show everyone have changed more than one opinion about "yucky rats." One girl who used to think they were just disgusting now likes to look at my pictures and hear my stories about them.... but only as long as she can call them mice instead of rats! :doh: Well, it's progress!

I'm fortunate that, because I work in the environment I do, most people I meet on a regular basis are at least animal lovers, if not slaves to their pets. And most of the people I come across are perhaps a little taken aback at my owning rats, but accept it with mild humour at least.

When my puppy's breeder heard I had them, she was curious if nothing else.. I heard the usual "I just don't know about those tails".. but she met them once and has been telling all her friends and coworkers about it! LOL

I am very fortunate. Many people at work are very accepting of my rats and their stories. I keep my stories to certain people. My boss really doesn't have the time for such stories. But two of my coworkers are really into them and ask me questions about them. On trip to TO with my boss and two coworkers my boss asked me about my rats. We started talking about them and I mentioned how intellegent they were. Her comment was 'that would be interesting to say to people, intellegent as a rat'. We all laughed, it was in good humor. I even brought Ruby Hazel and Lily into work one day (the day I took them to the vet) and many were interseted in seeing them.
I guess I'm lucky.

I am all rat. Everywhere I go, I dont care what people think or have to say. If I hear a rude comment I have one to fire back at them, I get to hear all the comments when we have a public event involving the RMCA. Many times we have a public event, the place we have it schedules us to have a booth right next to the raptor rescue........ :doh: Or they sit us next to the beer tent and we get all the drunks coming by checking out the rats. I have heard it all and most of the time I will put them right back in their place. One comment I love is, " Oh I have a snake thats hungry" I tell them, "Well bring him on by , I can cure his hunger, I always needed a new belt or wallet! " Gets em everytime.
*stepping off the soap box*
But at work everyone knows my love for the animals. I have pictures of them plastered all over my cubicle, Figureines of Charming Tails, Ratatouille etc. They dont dare say a bad word *giggles*

RunzwithRatz said:
One comment I love is, " Oh I have a snake thats hungry" I tell them, "Well bring him on by , I can cure his hunger, I always needed a new belt or wallet! " Gets em everytime.

YES!!!!!!!!! I love it! I will definitely be keeping that one in mind for the next time I get an ignorant snake comment.[/i]

KristyR said:
RunzwithRatz said:
One comment I love is, " Oh I have a snake thats hungry" I tell them, "Well bring him on by , I can cure his hunger, I always needed a new belt or wallet! " Gets em everytime.

YES!!!!!!!!! I love it! I will definitely be keeping that one in mind for the next time I get an ignorant snake comment.[/i]
That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what they get for making comments like that.

Back