Do Rats Blink? (And Other Eye Questions)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klomonx

Rats have big butts. :3
Lots of questions, that aren't really urgent, but I'm very curious.

Do they blink? Or is it a third eyelid kind of deal? How often do they blink?
I ask because I watch my rats, and I notice they wink sometimes, but even when sleeping their eyes don't close, it can be really unsettling. Does anyone know how their eyes work, are they like other mammals or is something different around them? Is it normal for their eyes not to 'fit' in their face, or do all my rats have a weird genetic disorder, lol?

Don't worry, that all sounds normal. :lol:

Some rats do leave their eyes open when they're sleeping (or they might not be properly sleeping, just relaxing).

Rats most definitely blink. Just like with all mammals it keeps the eye moist. The 3rd eyelid is also present but rarely seen :) The sleeping with eyes open is something that can really freak out people. Sometimes the rat can be anesthetized at the vets and the eyes will stay open then LOL

My guess is for eyes that don't "fit" in the skull is that they are prey animals and need to see all around them, so the eyes protrude out more than a predator with flatter more "fitted" eyes.

And lots more about rat eye physiology here

http://www.ratbehavior.org/Eyes.htm

Back