Do old rats get cold ...she has taken a turn for the worst

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jems71

My Rats are kept in my kids room...and the temp is average 74F goes from 71 to 76 but usually its right around 74-75...
seems Altana wants to hide in warmer spots lately...she is the oldest one approx 19-20months, I think she was sister to Elphaba (twitch's last girl to pass) she is getting up there in age, and is slowing down a bit, not nearly as active as the younger girls.
BUt these days she doesn't seem to want to come out to play...would rather cuddle up in your lap or even better in your shirt where is warm, she sleeps more soundly, and is usually on the warmer side of the cage. I have listened to her breathing and it doesn't seem labored or noisey. she is eating but these last few days has been slow to come out to eat...no exsessive porphyrin, sometimes a little when she wakes up usually around her eyes and maybe nose but its not much at all small hardly seen droplets, which once she is fully awake she cleans up. She is not loosing weight...remaining steady give or take the usual 5-10grams...

But she seems slower, sleepier and I would say she seems chilly the way she tries to find warmer spots to sleep or cuddle.

She has been bruxing alot when I take her out for a cuddle and a banana chip (dried not fried) treat...I would like to think she is telling me she is happy...but she doesn't brux that much so maybe she is telling me she is not feeling well.
Could this be her age creeping up on her? as she doesn't seem like respiratory issues and she eats, drinks and goes pee and poo...
I guess since her sister passed away not too long ago I am worried for her... :sad3: poor dear is getting older and its showing...we have only had her a short time...so this sucks!

OMG I think she has had a stroke! :cry4:
Just came in to check on her and she is not well...I have opened a topic in ER .

74 - 75 is a good temp but she may be cold.
You could buy a snuggle safe (vets sell them) and put it (heated and wrapped in a blanket) in one corner of the can. Then the rats can get closer to it or move away from it.

I keep my place at 74 and my guys sleep out in the open. But they will go tunnel their way into their favorite nest spots if they do get cold.

Back