Do males always get aggressive during puberty?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most nakies aren't genetic hairless but double rex thankfully. Issues are scratvhed, skin issues, and eye issues like debris under the eyelids or scratches and infections that can cause eyeball rupture. Their eyes are the worst thing IMO.
The place where I got mine said that he is a double rex, so this gives me hope that my little guy will have a normal lifespan!

So, I've been reading a lot about males getting aggressive and biting their humans when they reach about 6 months old. Does this always happen? Do males always have to be neutered to fix this? Right now, the two males I have are so sweet. Shy, but sweet. They never bite. Is this temporary? Are they going to start biting in a few months?
Thanks

I bought my daughter a male rat and he was one of the sweetest pets we ever had. Never a bite. We used to let him nibble peanut butter off of our fingers and even then, he was a gentle as can be, almost like he knew that his sharp teeth could hurt us. The only time he was a little bit aggressive was when you'd give him a soda cracker - he'd snatch it from your fingers and run into his house faster than lightning. I think he was addicted to the crackers.

I prefer male rats over the female rates because it seems that boys want more affection from their human companion, and they tend to do a lot more grooming on you. The females we had were friendly too, and more energetic. Whiski (my daughters rat) loved to cuddle and if you wore a hoodie, he would hide there and pass out in your sleeve.

That was our experience though, and I guess some rats are different.

Hey ViciousCurse your boy was fawn who often have dark ruby eyes. I believe this is called Argente in the UK. Its gorgeous and can range from a light orange to a deep.one :)

Here's a former fawn with her sick beige friend
ZuriandKamali.jpg
The fawn one looks almost exactly like my Gideon. Gideon was a fawn with dark ruby eyes as well. He did the typical head swaying when something startled him, probably due to him having poor eyesight. Maddox was my balding fawn with dark ruby eyes (he even had some white on his tummy just like the fawn pictured). He didn't do the head sway. I admit it caused me to smile because I miss my two fawn boys (and their agouti hooded brother).

The place where I got mine said that he is a double rex, so this gives me hope that my little guy will have a normal lifespan!
I'm not a rat breeder, nor am I experienced with double rexes or true hairless, but this one website said that true hairless have little to no whiskers, while double rexes have curly, short whiskers (link).

I bought my daughter a male rat and he was one of the sweetest pets we ever had. Never a bite. We used to let him nibble peanut butter off of our fingers and even then, he was a gentle as can be, almost like he knew that his sharp teeth could hurt us. The only time he was a little bit aggressive was when you'd give him a soda cracker - he'd snatch it from your fingers and run into his house faster than lightning. I think he was addicted to the crackers.

I prefer male rats over the female rates because it seems that boys want more affection from their human companion, and they tend to do a lot more grooming on you. The females we had were friendly too, and more energetic. Whiski (my daughters rat) loved to cuddle and if you wore a hoodie, he would hide there and pass out in your sleeve.

That was our experience though, and I guess some rats are different.
I have pictures of Gideon chilling in my hoodie pocket. I honestly think that rat might have enjoyed therapy work because he loved exploring and loved meeting new people. My current rats also snatch puffs like that, but they're getting better in their old age. I believe rats are also conscious of where they put their teeth and how hard. When I brought babies home, they always go through this learning curve of "What's the human's finger? Is it their nail or is it food?" Even then, they're gentle to bite down, albeit still a little harder than my adults.

Back