DIY Ferret Nation netting(or any other cages)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Now that i'm done my job,i taught i'd post a topic on netting cages for your loves ones.
It is pretty easy to do but "patience" and "help" is the key here...

First you will need:
Hardware: Mesh cloth(i used 3/8"x3/8",very safe and easier to make tight cuts)
Small tie-raps(lots of them)
Tools:
Sheet metal cutters
Snips
Measuring tape
Sharpie

Not that you got the hardware and toold required,you will need to mesaure what piece you need to cover.Using the mesauring tape mesaure it and make it as close to the edge as possible.Write down the measurement.
Unroll the mesh cloth and mark with the sharpie where you need to cut

Now that you got your piece cut up,takes some tie-raps and secure it "LOOSELY" on the part to cover.Only use 3-4 tie-raps to center the part you are covering

Once you have centred that piece,use more tie-raps to tight it on the cage.Always make sure it is centred.Ask for help if you need it.

And here is the final result.I could garantee anyone that not even a baby mouse will escape. :wink:

This is not my first time netting a cage.It is a nice weekend project to do.Take your time,mesaure twice and be patient.

Good luck to all.
If you have any questions,dont hesitate to PM me,i'll help you out the best i can. :D

dubchick said:
how are the "chewey" rats with this mesh stuff.. some rats just will chew thru anything if given the chance... does the mesh hold up well?
It's not mesh in the sense you are thinking... it is "hardware cloth" and not a problem for chewers.

I had to do this to my cage... although I couldn't find any snips so I had to get some cheapo cutters and cut each wire in the grid separately. It took hours... but at least I shouldn't ever have to do it again.

after netting the cage can the ratties still climb up the sides? Mine really enjoy this and I wouldn't want to take climbing from them.

Jasmine08 said:
after netting the cage can the ratties still climb up the sides? Mine really enjoy this and I wouldn't want to take climbing from them.

Yes, they do still climb around. My four boys go zipping around all over the cage, more often then not they climb the bars to get to the levels. I don't think it bothers them.

Back