Discouraged

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tisums

Hi, I am new here. I haven't had rats since I was seventeen (twenty-three now) and I am a little discouraged today.
I got my first rat, Lemmiwinks around two weeks ago. Last Saturday I got him a cage mate, Ben. First of all, it was love at first sight for them, and they are so happy together.. but since I have been taming Lemmi for those two weeks, for the first time today he let me feed him treats while he was buried in my sweater. He licked yogurt off my hand and I just died with happiness. Now Ben, and I know he has only been home for a few days, acts WAY more terrified of me then Lemmi did when I got him. I have been trying to get him to take yogurt from a spoon but so far he just wont, he will only sit and stare at me. I am sad, and I am afraid he will attack me if I try anything else, so I will just leave the Yogurt on the spoon in the cage and leave him alone. Lemmi is still very skiddish but at least he lets me hold him, even if its not in my hands. I have a fear of being bitten after my last rat (whom I didn't pick out) bit me hard enough it caused nerve damage, I don't want Ben to be like him :(

Your little Ben probably will need more one on one with you. Give him more time, just speak softly to him and offer him treats. How old is he?

I agree, give him more time to get to know you. And it's a good thing that Lemmi is doing better with you, he can teach Ben to not be so scared. It's not common for rats to bite so keep that in mind and love your little Ben like you do Lemmi.

Thank you for the responses, as I write this, Lemmi and Ben are in my sweater, watching. Ben has never bit me and has warmed up to me completely. I think it may be the Yoggi's but I like to pretend it is just me, I really was worried for nothing, thank you!

Back