Dilbert April 8, 2006 to June 28, 2008 :’(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Buffy the Vampire Slayer said it right, “Death is my Gift”…as it was Dilbert’s gift today so he wouldn’t suffer. I know he would’ve wanted to just be gone, not stay with me and linger. He was a very practical boy at times. I would rather be a week early than a day late in my decision to pts. But my vet says I have a very good instinct for that fine line of when its enough, but there's no suffering.

For people who do not know Dilbert, he was a wee 3-week-old Orphan that was taken away from his mom and siblings at 2 weeks. He came into my life a week later, and my original plan was to get him going strong and then rehome him…he was a Boy you see and I had Girls. Well that plan went out the window the second I met him.

For anyone curious, here is his thread on Goosemoose of his beginnings...
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opt ... ,4004903.0

This is where he got his nickname on the forum…Sir Dilbert Lickbath Hall
Dilbertlickbath.jpg

He stole many many hearts not just my own while he grew up…
His first weigh-in at a whopping 31 grams!
Dilbertatawhopping31g.jpg

His infamous Zombie pic…for all Dawn of the Living Dead afficianado’s “I smell your brains…”
Ismellyourbrains.jpg

And he grew…

He was so brave and sweet and man he could play!!! He was the best handwrestler ever from the trip home to the very end!
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/r ... 349AVI.flv

Tugofwarwithlettucesm.jpg

And many people met him in person and became his Love-Slaves, including Jorats
JoandDilly3.jpg

He also was a serious ham when he was younger…”Camera? Oooh Must Smile!”
Dilly-Isthatacamera.jpg

He even was gonna tackle the big scary horse…I am Dillybear, hear me roar!
roaringatthehorse.jpg

When Dilbert was 7 weeks old, I was home sick and he decided we could all nap together
Dillyhavinganaponthecouch.jpg

At 12 weeks, recovering after his neuter
Dilbertrecuperating.jpg

And still wrestling and laughing
DillytheLaughing.jpg

New Friends…Dilbert and Co become the Rampaging Horde
all11mowingagain.jpg

A hug from Dilly
Dillyhug.jpg

Dilbert helps build my new Surprise Gift FN
Dillymodelsthefinalproduct.jpg

Dilbert totally approves of his new cage
HordewithDillyinthemiddle.jpg

Dilbert, unfortunately was always up for Food
RampagingandravagingHorde.jpg

Even when I put him on a strict low fat, low protein diet he continued to gain and gain :doh:
Moobs blush
Dilbertmoobs.jpg

And Dilbert even took over nursing duties on my sick little Kamali
“You okay hun?”
DilbertandKamali2Nov12.jpg

He or her sister never left her side when she wasn’t well…I called them her Bookends.

Dilbert loved his pats and scratches from his mom, and always reciprocated with licks.
Dilbertalwayssaysthanks.jpg

Cuddled up with his beloved Brie, who left us far too soon
Dilbertontheshack2.jpg

My big beautiful boy…You will always be in my heart and in every rat I ever meet. Today was one of the hardest days of my life since I became an Aware Rat Owner, but it is part of owning rats. I was very lucky, Dilbert was with me for over 26 months of his life, his entire life…
Dillysleepy1.jpg

Aw Shelagh, Dilly entered all of our heart. You gave him such a wonderful home.
:hugs: He's with Brie now.

I am so very sorry Shelagh.
Thank you for your loving tribute to Dilly :heart:
Dilbert :heart: was a very special boy to many of us and will be missed.
:hugs:

Oh Dilbert. :( What a beautiful creature you were, and you brought your mum so much happiness. :heart: That's one rat I would have loved to have met. My thoughts are with you, Shelagh.

I'm absolutly speechless right now. I've been so busy lately that I just haven't had time to check the forums so I had no idea Dilly was even sick! :cry4:

Shelagh, I am so incredably sorry about Dilbert. I know how important that little man was to you. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

He lived a wonderful life because of you and you are so lucky that such a special soul came into your life.

I feel really fortunate to have been able to spend time with Dilbert and I'm really going to miss him. Your tribute was beautiful and really did justice to what an amazing rat he was.

He's with his beloved Brie now and I know they are both watching over you :hugs:

Oh Dilly!!! I never thought there would be a time when he'd have to go... I'm so so so so so sorry, Shelagh. He was the most special manrat! I hope Mikey, Nina, and Maude have found him by now and that they are the best of rattie friends over at the bridge. My heart is breaking for you and all the rest of us who have lost him along with you... *huge hugs* Rest Dilly, knowing you touched the lives of many, more than you could ever know. I love you little guy!

lilspaz68 said:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer said it right, “Death is my Gift”…as it was Dilbert’s gift today so he wouldn’t suffer. I know he would’ve wanted to just be gone, not stay with me and linger. He was a very practical boy at times. I would rather be a week early than a day late in my decision to pts. But my vet says I have a very good instinct for that fine line of when its enough, but there's no suffering.

For people who do not know Dilbert, he was a wee 3-week-old Orphan that was taken away from his mom and siblings at 2 weeks. He came into my life a week later, and my original plan was to get him going strong and then rehome him…he was a Boy you see and I had Girls. Well that plan went out the window the second I met him.

For anyone curious, here is his thread on Goosemoose of his beginnings...
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opt ... ,4004903.0

This is where he got his nickname on the forum…Sir Dilbert Lickbath Hall
Dilbertlickbath.jpg

He stole many many hearts not just my own while he grew up…
His first weigh-in at a whopping 31 grams!
Dilbertatawhopping31g.jpg

His infamous Zombie pic…for all Dawn of the Living Dead afficianado’s “I smell your brains…”
Ismellyourbrains.jpg

And he grew…

He was so brave and sweet and man he could play!!! He was the best handwrestler ever from the trip home to the very end!
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/r ... 349AVI.flv

Tugofwarwithlettucesm.jpg

And many people met him in person and became his Love-Slaves, including Jorats
JoandDilly3.jpg

He also was a serious ham when he was younger…”Camera? Oooh Must Smile!”
Dilly-Isthatacamera.jpg

He even was gonna tackle the big scary horse…I am Dillybear, hear me roar!
roaringatthehorse.jpg

When Dilbert was 7 weeks old, I was home sick and he decided we could all nap together
Dillyhavinganaponthecouch.jpg

At 12 weeks, recovering after his neuter
Dilbertrecuperating.jpg

And still wrestling and laughing
DillytheLaughing.jpg

New Friends…Dilbert and Co become the Rampaging Horde
all11mowingagain.jpg

A hug from Dilly
Dillyhug.jpg

Dilbert helps build my new Surprise Gift FN
Dillymodelsthefinalproduct.jpg

Dilbert totally approves of his new cage
HordewithDillyinthemiddle.jpg

Dilbert, unfortunately was always up for Food
RampagingandravagingHorde.jpg

Even when I put him on a strict low fat, low protein diet he continued to gain and gain :doh:
Moobs blush
Dilbertmoobs.jpg

And Dilbert even took over nursing duties on my sick little Kamali
“You okay hun?”
DilbertandKamali2Nov12.jpg

He or her sister never left her side when she wasn’t well…I called them her Bookends.

Dilbert loved his pats and scratches from his mom, and always reciprocated with licks.
Dilbertalwayssaysthanks.jpg

Cuddled up with his beloved Brie, who left us far too soon
Dilbertontheshack2.jpg

My big beautiful boy…You will always be in my heart and in every rat I ever meet. Today was one of the hardest days of my life since I became an Aware Rat Owner, but it is part of owning rats. I was very lucky, Dilbert was with me for over 26 months of his life, his entire life…
Dillysleepy1.jpg

A tiny ounce of rat man
that's all there was of me
upon my word a stroke of luck
to land Shelagh with thee :heart:

Though taken from my mother
although I was too young
Your patience, wit and wisdom
breathed life into my lungs

To tolerate my feisty ways
appeared to give you joy
and when I strived to strut my stuff
you cuddled your small boy

no wrath did I encounter
your diets went astray
where, for my health, I should have lost
through pilfering, I gained

Where some may see the rainbow not
before their time is due
I saw the rainbow from day one
and lived in full for you.

The love and joy I felt from you
reciprocate in full
that over pictures of us both
while at the bridge can mull

There is no need to wonder
my illness should you find
where others may have overlooked
my Shelagh was not blind

Twas fate which led me to your care
a life so fine and free
You were my sunrise, understand
my sunset must you be. :love6:

Your story reads of a bond which very few can match Shelagh.

It is almost as if he wanted nothing more in life than to trust his soul to you. The same kindness which gave him the will to live was the same kindness he wanted to take with him when he died. He knew that you would never permit his suffering. You could not have given him a more precious gift than the gentle love and care you showed him in his final days. There is no better way to pass. Take comfort in the glory of this little man's life. You were everything his world revolved around... and you will continue to be from his place at the bridge. Such a beautiful love story. :rose:

I can't believe he's gone. It feels like no time has gone
by at all since we first heard of him. Dilly was a special
guy and your loss is felt by us all.

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being,
the more joy you can contain. Kahlil Gibran

I am so sorry, Shelagh. This was the post I've been dreading ever since you found that lump.

Dilbert was so special. We all loved watching him grow and thrive. He became our unofficial Rat Shack mascot. You gave him a wonderful tribute, and you and Dr. Munn gave him the gift of a merciful death.

Take care, may your heart heal by remembering him.

A year ago last April my husband I went to Shelagh's to pick up four males to take to Notamused. We have the greatest opportunity to meet Dilly who was the highlight of the forum. It was such a honor to meet this forum celebrity :) He had a wonderful life with Shelagh and will continue to delight the ones at Rainbow Bridge. Rest in Peace, Dillyman and take Care Shelagh. :heart:

Ann

:sad3: Dilly was one of those rats that a little bit of him belonged to everyone, and everyone feels his going. Hugs Shelagh, for you will miss this special guy the most :heart:

Back