Didn't know where to put this - canadian rat spay - B.C.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivianelizabeth

Where is a good place in Victoria BC to get a rat spayed?
How much is the cost? (2 female rat spays :) )
What are possible complications?
What are the questions I should ask when looking for a special vet to spay my rats?

I want to spay them because it can reduce tumors and other health problems, as well because it would make my landlord a lot more comfortable. The rats under my new contract are only allowed to be free ranged (not held in a hand or in a pen on the floor but wandering about) IF they are spayed - she is worried about them getting pregnant even though my contract from the breeder says if they get pregnant I must surrender them. Oh well.
ALSO
I'm interested in getting a BOY for them to play with! :)
Why not just neuter the boy? Free range benefits for the girls. I'm pretty sure if I got a boy she'd require him to be neutered too...
All coment appreciated.

You'd need to talk to vets for spay quotes... the cost can be drastically different from vet to vet. I paid about $250 for a spay previously.

Where is a good place in Victoria BC to get a rat spayed?
I'm in the US, so I can't help you there.

How much is the cost? (2 female rat spays )
Spays really range in price, some ppl can get them for $100 others pay around $400...

What are possible complications?
If you find a good experienced vet complications are minimal.

What are the questions I should ask when looking for a special vet to spay my rats?
Ask him/her how many rats they see per day?
How many they have spayed or neutered?
Of those have any had complications?

Why not just neuter the boy?
Spaying has more health benefits then neutering does.

Finally, free range can actually be rather dangerous. Be sure your house is completely rat proofed before you let them free. Rats can be chewers, and they really like tight dark spaces, so if there are any holes in your walls they may go into them. Also there is always the risk of them being stepped on or sat on. If you are really heart set on doing this be sure to keep a cage for them, many times rats like to go back to a place they feel safe and comfortable for sleeping and eating purposes...

MY girsl DO have a cage.
Where i'm living right now i can free range them in the bedroom where they immensly prefer running around on my flannel sheet under my feather duvet... spoiled girlies!!!

They do not chew anything that is not cardboard or wood. they're just not interested if it's not a wood based product... convenient for me!

Back