Destructive Bored Baby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbabylady

Hi all,

Hoping to find some advice among seasoned rat owners. One of my new babies has taken up chewing my baseboards when free roaming. All 5 of my other girls have never destroyed something that cannot be easily replaced, and i am frustrated. I was at the vet recently and she advised to redirect the chewing immediately. She also said her teeth look great so it is a behavior thing. So I have been using my stern voice, taking her off the baseboard and then giving her something else to chew, but it really seems like I am positively reinforcing that behavior. It really sucks because my baseboard chewer is clearly my most active rat but I just cant trust her to be out without me closely watching. All my other girls I trust to free roam when I am in the other room even, and it is so sad to have to put her in the cage while everyone else is enjoying life. Any advice on changing the behavior pattern? Should I keep doing what my vet advised?

- another note, my babies are about to move into their own room in my house after my old roommate moves out next week. I plan on getting PVC pipes and other bigger room play things to keep her occupied but I just do not think any amount of toys will completely fulfill her.

Your best bet would be to cover the baseboards. If she can't get to them, she can't chew them. Try cardboard taped at the floor and wall. It may be ugly for a while, but maybe after a bit, she will give up the habit. If she chews the cardboard, just replace it. 😊

Back