Desperately need advice - Dawson acting strange

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could kiss (grumpy pants) Bennett right now. He's been so good with Dawson today. Check out Bennett making a fuss of my poor boy :)

Poor little darling

93AD0458-2504-49C3-AD2F-430599EEA2EA_zpstdzqnvpd.jpg

Bennett climbs on Dawson (Bee is not dominant in anyway - I've never seen him groom any of his 3 brothers before; he's the one usually receiving the grooming!)

827E2BC4-A817-48E1-BDD6-FB7FEE1A5690_zps7zsj3q65.jpg

Dawson knows he is loved by his brother (I owe you one Bennett, thanks boy)

58784749-2C68-4FD1-83CE-8BFBA76D4021_zpsvtl4bya5.jpg

This is another prime example why rats need buddies! Not just for the good times, but for when the chips are down too!

DCC7517D-1989-4035-96D6-552265A04C15_zpsffbbno5w.jpg

I would think a qualified rat veterinarian would be able to give a diagnosis or at least a list of "rule-outs". Are there any other veterinarians in your area who might be more qualified to great pet rats?

In my last post I was referring to this section in the Rat Guide which is very helpful IF your veterinarian thinks Dawson may have a pituitary tumor:
Recommended treatment is geared for comfort and the reduction of clinical signs, and may include the following:
Cabergoline or bromocriptine, a dopamine receptor agonist, that inhibits prolactin secretion; thereby reducing circulating prolactin in the blood stream and reducing tumor size. Depending on when initiated in the disease process may extend life/quality time from 3- 6 months.
Since it has been shown that significant shrinkage of the tumor may take a number of weeks following the initiation of a dopamine receptor agonist; vets may wish to treat with a corticosteroid (e.g.,dexamethasone or prednisone or prednisolone) on a more extended reduction schedule to address brain swelling, until tumor reduction is significant enough to alleviate clinical signs.
Note: a corticosteroid may also be given as a stand alone agent where end stage palliative comfort for the rat is required or desired.
In the event long-term corticosteroid (e.g. prednisone, prednisolone,or dexamethasone) therapy is instituted, given the commonality of chronic mycoplasma infections in the pet rat population, it is advised to consider including broad-spectrum antibiotics such as Baytril and doxycycline.

You mentioned stiffness and the Rat Guide's page on pituitary tumors states symptoms may include Stiffness or inability to flex forelimbs that may gradually progress to the hind limbs as the tumor continues to grow.

Whatever Dawson has, it's great he has Bennett as such a wonderful buddy AND I hope you can find a veterinarian who can diagnose his problem or at least give you several possible rule-outs.

My observations on the effects of Pred on rats: They often lose muscle-mass, making their spines more bony and pronounced. They can also have increased appetite, thirst and energy.

Glad Dawson is doing well for now.

Thinking of you both and sending positive wishes!

Thanks for the info and help everyone. Dawson is on baytril now. If I don't see any improvement by next Monday, I'll have my sweet boy put to sleep as I won't see him suffer. I'll keep everyone updated.

Dawson hasn't responded to his meds. He's barely chewing. It's time to end his suffering.

I'm now in my way to the vets to have him pts.

I'm heartbroken, and tonight will be tough. I thank you all for your help and generosity. We really tried! Equally, I feel fortunate that he doesn't have to suffer any longer in a body that's failed him. It's a blessing that animals have the option of euthanasia.

I'll miss him so much, and I'm thankful for all the joy and special times that he gave me daily, and glad I was able to give him a lovely life and home full of love during his short life.

Have a blast at the bridge, Dawson, my love xx

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Dawson is such a sweet boy and he was fortunate to have had a good life with you and his friends.
{{hugs}}

Last edited:
Dawson hasn't responded to his meds. He's barely chewing. It's time to end his suffering.

I'm now in my way to the vets to have him pts.

I'm heartbroken, and tonight will be tough. I thank you all for your help and generosity. We really tried! Equally, I feel fortunate that he doesn't have to suffer any longer in a body that's failed him. It's a blessing that animals have the option of euthanasia.

I'll miss him so much, and I'm thankful for all the joy and special times that he gave me daily, and glad I was able to give him a lovely life and home full of love during his short life.

Have a blast at the bridge, Dawson, my love xx

I really feel for you Claireybell2477. Dawson looks like he was such a sweetheart. It sure sounds like you provided him with the best home and most love possible. I'm so glad you recognize that and are thankful for all the special moments.

Heartfelt Condolences & Hugs,

Back