Deigo Meets Badger & Scamp - Moved In - Update 09/04

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scamp loves Deigo ..Badger on the other hand wont even let Deigo look at him ..he gets all puffy, and sideways ..

Ratty Momma said:
Scamp loves Deigo ..Badger on the other hand wont even let Deigo look at him ..he gets all puffy, and sideways ..

:giggle: :laugh4: I don't know why that strikes me as funny except that I can see it in my mind's eye!! My boys were like that too!!

See I told you that Diego would be a :heart: breaker everyone so far is lovin on his Agouti ways! :thud:

haha

But in all seriousness ..

I am back to NF grounds ..if Diego as much as looks at Badger ..Badger turns sideways, gets puffy and starts hissing.

& poor Diego is so afraid ..he will slowly creep up, but as soon as Badger looks at him, he runs away ..

Scamp likes him, no issues there ....

Any suggestions?

Hey! Jo has a great series of vid clips regarding intros! :nod: See her entries in, I believe, the Rat Room! I watched the videos 3 times taking mental notes for later on down the line when my colony expands!

momofmany said:
Hey! Jo has a great series of vid clips regarding intros! :nod: See her entries in, I believe, the Rat Room! I watched the videos 3 times taking mental notes for later on down the line when my colony expands!

I try smoothing Badger down to keep him calm before he gets puffy and I try dominating him when I see a rat ball waiting to happen ..but he is too much for me to handle, he hisses and freaks at me too.

I have a pill of treats in the area with them as well ..but nothing seems to help.

Sounds like you just need to keep going slow.

NF grounds? Neutral... something? Sometimes people need to make early intros super scary at first for the rats to get over eachother... taking them for car rides and stuff.

You will need to put your hand over Badger. For some reason, he's scared. If you are too worried about touching him, then don't offer them any treats during intros, instead, give Badger treats when Diego goes near him.
Have they actually gone into a rat ball?

jorats said:
You will need to put your hand over Badger. For some reason, he's scared. If you are too worried about touching him, then don't offer them any treats during intros, instead, give Badger treats when Diego goes near him.
Have they actually gone into a rat ball?

Once, and since then they have been this way ..before that there was nothing. I tried putting myhand over him, but he freaks out ..I guess I'll try the treat option for him.

The boys are doing awesome tonight!

Doing the treat idea Jo suggested (instead of putting out a pile of treats, Iv been giving them when they are being nice, mostly Badger since he was the problem)

Badger Checking Diego's bum out :giggle:

IMG_0784.jpg

Friends????????
IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Buddies
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

We had 2 good days ..still on NF grounds. Today, Badger & Diego got into a scuff ..and Diego shot off the couch and went under the table, he is terrified of Badger again :wallbang:

Now Diego keeps jumping off the couch and won't go near Badger, even tho Badger is behaving.

Is Badger neutered? I can't remember but I think he is? I think Diego is a big crybaby and you just need to keep doing it. Where is neutral ground?

jorats said:
Is Badger neutered? I can't remember but I think he is? I think Diego is a big crybaby and you just need to keep doing it. Where is neutral ground?

yep badger is, diego is not ..but he shows no signs of aggression ..he runs from it.

but badger is not showing any sings of aggression anymore like he was with the puffy coat, the hissing, the turning sideways .. the scuff was nothing big,just dominance ..but it scared mr. cry baby.

they are on the couch in the room with all the cages, im thinking i should move it to the bed room.

If it's in the room with the cages, then it's familiar ground. From what you describe, Badger is not doing anything bad really, it's just Diego who needs to get over it. I'd continue to do it there. He needs to get used to it.

Might just have a screamer on your hands - if it helps at all, Petrie was like that for the first little while with Mr. Honeycomb, even though the big softie never even came close to her. Then he was her best friend, then her patient when he wasn't feeling so good.

today went better ..he was not a cry baby ..but tomorrow he could be terrified again.

he don't make sounds, he just runs ..but he is curious and he wants to go near him ..but is a big baby.

Tonight went really well! there was grooming of each other & CUDDLES!!!

Diego & Badger
IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

All THREE!
IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

& a happy happy Badger
IMG_0970.jpg

Back