deep sleep?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Bean

I changed out Baby Girl's bedding yesterday (She is our only lone rat since she refuses to get along with anyone) and changed her litter as well. She loves her new pink fleece and scooted around the floor, lying down every so often and swaying her head to take it all in. The poor girl is blind in one eye and sways her head a lot, especially when checking out a new environment or new bedding. Anyhow, she decided that she would rather sleep in her litter pan than in her hammock or igloo.

I went to check on her while she was sleeping and noticed that she was sprawled out in the litter pan instead of head-sleeping like she usually does. I called her name but she didn't respond. I opened her cage and she still didn't move. I started freaking out and crying, thinking that I had lost my little girl. I poked her and still no response! I lifted her out and cuddled her to my chest and was crying. All of a sudden she opens her eyes and looks up at me, bruxxes and boggles! The naughty thing!! She stayed cuddled up to me which is very strange for her. She is always bouncing around and never wants to be cuddled. Eventually she got tired of it and got on the floor, climbed her ladder and went back to her cage to run on her wheel. She's been fine ever since.

Have any of you had this happen? is it normal or is there something wrong?

If she's older they sleep more and often more deeply. Rats also do this sprawly sleepy thing to freak us out :roll: I have seen one of my Horde sleeping slighgtly on her back in the litter pan in the corner...her head over the edge of the pan..looked uncomfy to me. Tried to get a pic to show people but she of course woke up and bounced to the front of the cage. :lol:

Aw, how frightening! I've had a few times when I've found one 'dead' only to have it move when I picked it up and was kissing it goodbye. They do know how to test your ticker.
I'm glad your little one is ok. :D

Ah... another heart attack moment... lovely aren't they? lol
I had that happen once, I had a rat sleeping in a tube. I went to pet his head which was hanging out and he didn't wake. I started to panic just a wee bit, so I started to lift his head up and down and still nothing. Now I started to panic big time and literally yanked him out of the tube, giving him a most rude awakening. I swear, they will give me a heart attack one of these days.

LOL! Yeah, she's still with us and I am pretty sure that she is proud for scareing her Mommy like that! You should see how she looks at me, she turns her head to the side, looks at me out of her good eye and almost seems to smile! What a brat! I'm glad to know that there are other ratties out there trying to give their Mommies and Daddies heart attacks!

Back