Debbie's not doing well... dry vomit

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

Hey, all.
We've had tears here this morning. My daughter's first rat, Debbie, is not doing well. Her temp is cool and I saw her vomiting this very dry dirt-like substance. We gave her some cheerios soaked in water to help hydrate her and she even tried a pea or two.

Has anyone ever had a rat vomit stuff like this?

I know from experience with other creatures that she is probably headed for the rainbow bridge today.
My heart is heavy for my daughter and for Debbie. :cry3:

Sounds like she's choking... Many rats choke on the simplest things even their blocks. But the rat has to work at generating a lot of saliva to break down the food and then have it pass naturally.
If Debbie is breathing well, and you do think it could be choking, I'd let her be and let her work it out.

Yep rats cannot vomit, but they can regurgitate...choking is something that looks very frightening but they work it out themselves almost all the time. I assume drool is mixed in with the grainy mess? If she's attempting to eat food at the same time its a very mild choke. Just keep an eye on her but try not to worry too much.

mnmjenn said:
Hey, all.
We've had tears here this morning. My daughter's first rat, Debbie, is not doing well. Her temp is cool and I saw her vomiting this very dry dirt-like substance. We gave her some cheerios soaked in water to help hydrate her and she even tried a pea or two.

Has anyone ever had a rat vomit stuff like this?

I know from experience with other creatures that she is probably headed for the rainbow bridge today.
My heart is heavy for my daughter and for Debbie. :cry3:

:sad3: That sounds scary! I hope she will be okay! :hugs:

Debbie died this afternoon. She had been sick for a long time and we had been treating her for it. Lots of tears from all 3 of our kids! Even made my hubby, who is not a rat fan, cry. We'll miss her.

DebbieandSusan1-09023.jpg

What a beautiful picture!
Please tell your daughter that so many people are proud of her for giving Debbie love and a happy life.
And of course Debbie is happy in heaven with everyone else who was good & loving here.
But I'm so sorry for your loss :cry3:

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Debbie... :sad3: Your daughter looks so happy holding her, sounds like it was a terrible loss for the entire family.

Back