Debbie Ducummon- does she deserve her title?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NezumiNeko

I recently found her book, I missplaced it about a year ago. I flipped through it, and my skimming has shown she does not deserve the title "Rat Lady." Her section on housing feels incomplete, and on of the pictures shows the most depressing cage. I feel like I saw a pic of a rat eating a cheeze-it in her book, but maybe I'm crazy, I never saw it again. She has raised apparently over 80 rats, a very impressive number, but some have you have sheltered, maybe owned more. (I think...?) I admit it is a handy book, but this site gas more knowledgable people who don't take the arrogant title of rat lady. Maybe that's why she bothers me, her title makes her seem slightly arrogant, like she is the best, while her book could use some fixin'. I'd say more, but I can't type well on my iPod. None of her info is wrong, but I feel like she missed some points. Thoughts please.

I have a great deal of respect for her and her books, althought I may not agree with everything.
The info does change as we learn more about rats, etc.
Both my vet and I have found her health care book to be an extremely valuable resource.
I also appreciate the help she has given me over the phone when I have phoned with questions and concerns about my rats.

NN I think you have the same book I do. I was dissappointed in this book as I find it a very basic book however I do think it was developed a lot time ago (I would have to check it out). I do believe that the Health Care book SQ has is much different. I do want to buy it.

There are a few things that I disagree with Debbie D but that's not to say that she hasn't done a world of good for rats. She does wonders for rattie PR, she's helped so many others convince their vets to get on the right track with regards to vets.
I respect her for how far she's come... if she wants that title, she can have it but to be honest, all of us girls here deserve it as well. :wink2:

I admit she's great, and I love nearly all rat lovers, she's just not what she's cracked up to be. Also I'm a brat who's slighty jealous of her fame. She does know some stuff, but there is so little accurate knowledge going around, that I want the basic guide to be perfect. And for more people to know about the nifty info here. Some people on the web and such see her as all knowing and perfect. Also this edition is 2001, so and much has been learned in 7 years. Also, only so much can go into a book. Annnd... I'm a brat.

I've thought this same question. I haven't read her books, but I've read her website. There are some things I don't agree with, however in general her information is helpful. I don't agree with a 'molasses' diet... it's just adding unneeded sugar. I also don't like the idea of home euth as being in any way humane, which she supported at one point -- fortunately, she fixed this information, but I can't help but wonder how many rats died at home with C02 at the hands of their owners who were thinking they were letting their rats go peacefully.

There are some things I agree with and others that I strongly disagree with. I wish people took more time to research information on rats through other sources (such as forums), rather than take everything 'The Rat Lady' says as fact. People can do a lot of damage when their words are spoken with authority, and having such a nickname automatically grants such authority. Even if all of her intentions are good, she has to be extra careful with everything she says or endorses for the sole reason that she is seen as the 'go to' for people who are new to rats.

I too have mixed feelings. But I basically agree with what Jo says. She's done a lot for rat PR for sure. However, I also agree there are many many other rat owners, shelter and rescue folks, and plain old rattie lovers like myself who also know their "stuff".

I do have to say that although the general information I've seen in many versions of the rat guide are good....I agree with my vets, that her medication info is NOT completely accurate. In some cases, scarily wrong! It's because of this, I have not met an exotic vet yet (that I've talked with personally. Not to say there isn't exotic vets out there) that will give Debbie any credit as a rat "expert". It's sad, because I know she has a lot of useful into in the Rat Health Care books that help new rat owners. But people need to remember, she is NOT a vet....so take her info on medications as informational only and check with your exotic vet, before treating your rats.

Certainly, she must have had more than 80 rats by now? I've had that many in the last 8 years. :giggle:

MadCatter said:
I also don't like the idea of home euth as being in any way humane, which she supported at one point -- fortunately, she fixed this information, but I can't help but wonder how many rats died at home with C02 at the hands of their owners who were thinking they were letting their rats go peacefully.

I emailed her recently about this, because I found it on her website. She STILL promotes it, so sadly I am striking her off my List.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/euth.html

Oct 7
Hi Shelagh,
Where did you hear that I "have denounced any method of Home Euth these days"? I have done no such thing. That is why the info is still on my website.
Deb

my reply
Oh I am sorry, I heard that you had put an addendum on your more recent ratguides that you had reconsidered the CO2 home euthanasia method.

and her final reply
No, but I do explain on my website that the CO2 method does not go smoothly for all rats. Some of them react with a feeling of breathlessness and panic. But some of them die peacefully, so people just need to be aware of this.
Deb

I am very happy with www.ratguide.com and my connections with the actual people who run it and do the research, they always get back to me with any questions I may have :)

I would agree with SQ and JO.

Her health care book has helped out on numberous occasions, way before I found the Rat Shak and she is so willing to help a fellow rat owner out in a pinch. Her book, book is not updated but her health care book is and I beleive a newer version was just released and I am going to buy it as soon as I get the chance.

And she does amazing work with rattie PR.

The RatGuide.com website ROCKS!!! It is VERY informative and very accurate. I have met Bella on several occasions and have the utmost respect for her. She was the one I learned so much from, when I had my Megacolon boy Willie. So, I'll sing her praises any day!! :bunnydance:

The Rat Guide also has recommendations from many well known and reputable vets as well. You can't go wrong with that.

MadCatter said:
I've thought this same question. I haven't read her books, but I've read her website. There are some things I don't agree with, however in general her information is helpful. I don't agree with a 'molasses' diet... it's just adding unneeded sugar. I also don't like the idea of home euth as being in any way humane, which she supported at one point -- fortunately, she fixed this information, but I can't help but wonder how many rats died at home with C02 at the hands of their owners who were thinking they were letting their rats go peacefully.

There are some things I agree with and others that I strongly disagree with. I wish people took more time to research information on rats through other sources (such as forums), rather than take everything 'The Rat Lady' says as fact. People can do a lot of damage when their words are spoken with authority, and having such a nickname automatically grants such authority. Even if all of her intentions are good, she has to be extra careful with everything she says or endorses for the sole reason that she is seen as the 'go to' for people who are new to rats.
You summed up my feelings perfectly....

I would imagine that she didn't crown herself with the title "Rat Lady", but rather that it was bestowed on her because of all the PR she did for pet rats. I have found her Health Guide very helpful, even though I would not use her home euthanasia method after having asked my vet's advice. Her medication info in the Guide is a godsend (and she got her info from a vet, whom she names on her site, and from research articles).

If it weren't for her Guide my three rats with heart problems would not have lasted nearly so long. Her flowcharts and her diagram of the "Rat Fling" are good to have handy.

My main discomfort with her is when she describes taking extraordinary measures to save a rat's life, e.g with lots of surgery, etc. I know that she means well, and she probably adds to the body of knowledge doing it, but I want to put the most emphasis on the quality of my particular pet's life.

I am in awe of her willingness to accept phone calls so many hours every day, and I deeply appreciate what she has done to make information about rat health problems more available. Most of her book is of use to my vet, and he keeps a copy in the clinic.

I feel she is a pretty good person all in all and does desverve her title which I agree with Godmother was probably bestowed on her. The lady I have a problem with is another Rat Lady that was featured in the extras of Willard on DVD, who feeds her "bad" rescues to her snakes, had 200+ rats and keeps bunches of exotics as "pets" (and I like a lot of exotics but Kinkajous and Coatis are never pets). So there are rat ladies to be feared and worried about but DEbbie D I think is a good person and she only have 15 ratties at present.

sausage4ever said:
I feel she is a pretty good person all in all and does desverve her title which I agree with Godmother was probably bestowed on her. The lady I have a problem with is another Rat Lady that was featured in the extras of Willard on DVD, who feeds her "bad" rescues to her snakes, had 200+ rats and keeps bunches of exotics as "pets" (and I like a lot of exotics but Kinkajous and Coatis are never pets). So there are rat ladies to be feared and worried about but DEbbie D I think is a good person and she only have 15 ratties at present.

OMG. How did SHE even get considered for the title.

the rat lady title is something that is flung around quite easily. in my area i have that title and i'm not nearly as knowledgeable as about half of the people on here even. i find that its handed out like "the cat lady" is handed out, to anyone with a lot of the animal and who talks freely and openly about their care, well being and personalities. so i don't think the title is all that important.

as for debbie d herself? i have no clue. i haven't read anything other then her website and even then only in passing. i think she is probably about as good as any other source for information. never a place to get everything, but a place to start looking or to add to the knowledge you have found and compared with other sources. medicines and rat care are always changing, we're always finding new things. to only use one source is like trying to walk with one leg, technically possible to do, but you stumble a lot. so as a source debbie d is probably as good as any other but certainly never as the only source

as for new owners looking to her as the "go to" well they're new. they will learn in time that there are many voices on every matter and that they need to verify and compare that information found from each voice. its a learning curve we've all been through, they will learn too.

You guys are quite convincing. I think it's more that she's the ultimate go-to lady verses her title.... I dunno. she's just over-hyped. Spend some time on more ignorant sites if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I have a huge amount of respect for Debbie D on matters of health, she really does know her stuff, and the excellent Rat Guide site got the vast majority of their info from her when it started up.
I'm pretty sure that it is right that the title 'rat lady' was originally bestowed on her, but she is obviously proud of the fact and chooses to keep it, I think she has every right to. I'm a bit out of touch now, but her Rat Health Guides used to be updated every year to keep up-to-date. They were totally invaluable to all rat owners and many rat-ignorant vets before the Rat Guide site was up and running.
I was very sad when she added the home euthanasia info more recently. It is such a very difficult subject - knowing there are some rats owners in the middle of nowhere (especially in the USA in seems, going by emails to the rathelp yahoo group) that are unwilling to take their rats to a vet for *anything* - I can kind of see why she has done it. I do think it is best to strongly insist that every rat must see a vet and they have as much right to veterinary vet care as a child in your care does to medical help, but given that some of those people literally have no money, and no vet for 100s of miles, which would you opt for - home euthanasia or leaving the rat untreated, suffering horribly for hours, days, weeks or even moths? :( I'm certainly not advocating home euthanasia - I am against it being in her books, so I hope I don't come across as supporting Debbie for putting this info in her books, I can just understand the reason she felt driven to do it for the sake of preventing a few rats from worse suffering.. I do worry that there is a minority of people would see it as an easy/lazy way out, a way of saving money rather than going to their vet when they could really manage to if they tried :S

I don't have much thought on this matter but I will say that one one forum I frequent (not pet based) I have been dubbed the "Crazy Dog Lady".... not of my choosing. :lol: So those sorts of monikers are easily adopted.

Back