Dear god, please help me help my rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry to hear you had to help Sucksuck over the bridge. We have all had to make that decision, and it sucks. Hang in there, it does get easier to deal with eventually. Make sure you take the time to be sad and grieve.
I would definitely encourage you to get a friend for Ketchup. My first pair of rats I did the same thing. My girl that I had had to drag out of the cage for almost two years was now throwing herself out at me and fighting when I put her back in. Watch for changes in behaviour like that. They really do need a friend...

Yeah, it sucks. Makes his name much more fitting now... :sad:

I know it will pass by. Sometimes it feels like it won't. But I know it will... And it's not so much about his death. It's that I'll never see him again...

I am watching Ketchup like a hawk. So far he seems normal, maybe because he was separated from Sucksuck for a few days prior to all of this. Maybe I desensitized him somewhat... But I am here for him now. I will be considering a new friend for him, maybe after two weeks of this. We'll see how he manages. I wanna make sure the cage is safe too.

I'm so sorry larch, you know there's a difference between doing things because you have to and doing them because you want to, i don't mean for you, I mean for him.. If getting around is more necessity than fun you might as well grow angel wings. Sucksuck is ok now, the pain is on you, I know you would rather it was yours than his. I'm so sorry, you know he had a good life. He had everything that a little rattie could want.. He's ok now, you're not. If I encountered Susan in that situation I'd figure my kid probably timed it to ease things for me. Its not a stretch when you know they have senses we don't have a clue about. Believe it or not doesn't matter, that you had her comfort when you needed it does. That Sucksuck's passing was eased for you some matters a lot, I'm sure he'd have wanted that.

I really didn't want to do it. Susan had to talk me into it, that's how bad he was. But I trusted her and the vet even if I was in denial and had so much hopes for him to get better. I really wish and hoped he'd live past 2... At least.

I don't believe in much, but I agree that it was a rather strange thing that she was there for me at that time. Whether there is something behind it, I don't know... But I am thankful for it and I'm going to send her a huge thank you letter once I can stop crying all over my keyboard when I type.

I think such rational thoughts about this, I don't even wonder if it was the right thing to do because I knew it was. I don't doubt his love for me and mine for him, or how happy his life was. Or that he's in a better place now. I know I will miss him and I know this will pass. But for some reason still, I just can't stop crying, and I cannot justify it. Sorry I keep going on about it. Seems like every time I come back here, there's a tsunami coming out of my face :( I wasn't even this way with my dog, so I feel very abnormal right now, and I can't talk enough about it. I just wanna talk about him until there's nothing to say or no more tears left. At this rate, the I'll be talking to myself soon haha

We really do know exactly how you feel. One thing I did to cope was to find the cutest picture of my rattie and put it on my i-Pod. That way when I look at it, I smile because it's so adorable. It gives you a chance to remember them when they were happy and healthy. I generally don't take pictures of my kids when they're sick, because I don't want to remember them that way. The bouts of sadness will pass, but that will take time. Don't put a time limit on grief. It's different for everybody, and different for every animal/person that touches our life.

Please dont feel bad about grieving for you loss. It is perfectly normal and different for everyone. Try not to make yourself feel worse for feeling bad. You loved him and its perfectly ok to be hurt and upset and feel shattered. I know. I lost 2 in November. It is devastating. Make sure if you get a friend for Ketchup that they get along. I got a friend for Percible after his brother died and he won't let another rat in his cage. Maybe they need a grief time too. I hope everything works out for the best for you and Ketchup and you have my sympathies. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Sounds like the 29th was a bad day for loosing our loved ones to PT, we lost our Cas as well. Just seeing this now, I am so sorry :( Hope you do stick around, we would love to know more about Ketchup ((HUGS))

Thank you guys. I printed out pics of my Sucksuck and Ketchup and stuck them around my desk at school. It actually made me cry more but I don't regret it.
ripsucksuck2.jpg

Haha, deemed my official rat wall (with some other stuff).

Yes, the 29th was a horrible day. Susan had lost a rat that day too. Not sure if I mentioned that. Man, I wish they were bred more carefully...

I think I'm getting a bit better lately, Ketchup has been his silly self and helps cheer me up when we hang out after school. I've been to the pet store to pick up bedding for him, and saw other little boys there... I am pondering and keeping in mind that he might need some new friends.
But not sure yet.

In the meantime, I'll be blabbering on and on about him around the forums for sure :D see you guys around!! and thank you so much again! <3

Back