dealing with tumors...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletiger

Parsnip has an aggressive mammary tumor. So if I pay to have it removed, it will only grow back. She's doing okay now (on pregnazone to slow tumor growth) but what else can I do to keep her comfortable? I've already puts ramps in the cage to make getting around easier. I just wanted some tips from the experts who know what's best :)

thanks guys.

Have you discussed a tumor removal + spay with your vet? Tumors rarely come back after the rat has been spayed, and spays decrease the chance of pituitary tumors as well, so that's a HUGE bonus!

For now, make sure she can groom herself okay, you or her cagemate might have to help her sometimes, depending on where the tumor is! Haha. Make sure she's eating fine, but cut out all sugary treats (for rats with mammary tumors here, they get ONLY lab blocks and veggies).

yeah, she was spayed at 3 months and is now 28 months old. So she got unlucky and got the tumor two months ago (or when I noticed it). She's eating and grooming fine. But I know she's too old to be put through surgery. thanks for the tip on the sugary treats. :)

Some rats can live happily with tumours for many months, even without the use of Prednisone. It's something to discuss with your vet, but using a medication that is an immuno-suppressant long term in an old rat may not be the best idea. (You should also be giving an antibiotic at the same time as Pred with rats.) It's a question of the lesser of two evils and largely depends on the size, location, and impact (on the rat) of the tumour and her health. Parsnip getting pneumonia in a month's time because she took a steroid to slow the growth of a lump that may not bother her for months to come would really suck.

Thanks victoria! I'll be calling my vet. I did also stumble upon the other articles in the forum on tumors and tumor growth.

I think the hardest part is knowing when the tumor is too big...and if she's not eating for herself, but for the tumor. I really don't want her to suffer in any way. I suppose I could get a picture...

When it gets too big, you'll know. I've had girls with mammary tumours that got quite large, and they were able to move around very well and the tumour did not hinder them whatsoever. It was growths that developed around the intestinal tract that were the eventual downfall of both of my girls who were sisters.

When they can no longer move around with the tumour, they've lost a considerable amount of weight or the tumour itself is becoming injured because of being dragged around, that's when you're probably going to have to consider making a decision for Parsnip.

A rat should be able to go through surgery at any age as long as they are healthy but since she's already spayed, I don't blame you for not wanting to put her under the knife due to age.

Back