Dealing with a lonely older rat...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Static

Right. Here goes:

My little girl is swiftly approaching her two year milestone, and believe me that's surprisingly long for ratties in my area. :x
She is just now beginning to recuperate from the death of her beloved sister, I think it helps that the treatment she is getting for mites has finally begun to work.
Despite her age, she is still a barrel of monkeys, very perky though now mostly she just finds a warm little corner to curl up in. I give her as much attention as I can, up to four hours out a day and ''grooming'' sessions. :roll:
She seems to be improving as she adapts to her new lifestyle.
She gets all the attention she craves, and appears a lot less lonesome than just after her sis passed on.
So I'm wondering, what else can I do to help her feel comfortable and make sure she is fine? I have absolutely no idea how she would react to newcomers. She was pretty submissive when her sister was around, but they knew each other all their lives. ( Before they were kept in a huge tank with a bunch of their brothers. Miraculously neither were pregnant when I adopted them at eight months.)
Even if I wanted to bring home a couple of new fuzzballs, I'd still have to convince my parents that I'm capable of handling three at once. -_-
... Really, I'd just like a bit of advice on how to handle this situation. I desperatly want my darling to be comfortable in her old age. I would immensly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

I'm so sorry for your and her loss. It's great that she still has a lot of spunk in her which means, she might do very well with new buddies.
I would work on the parents, convince them that your little girl needs friends. In the meantime, spend a lot of time with your little girl, as much as you can. I would also put a stuffed teddy bear in the cage, she may feel comfortable with it.
Also... if you do bring home two new friends, make sure your cage is big enough for three.

Back