Dax's breathing issuses

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

Last Saturday my 23 month old boy, Dax, was found gasping for air. I heard 2 large squeals from the next room and raced over to find him retching, his mouth open and gasping for air.

Took him to the small animal clinic at the Ontario Vet College here in Guelph where they put him on oxygen until Wednesday when i took him home. The said it was something along the line of chronic lung disease and gave me some med to take home (prednisone, theophylline and clarithromycin). They also did xrays and said there appeared to be fluid in the lungs as the lung area was much whiter then it should be, and they also seemed think there might be some sort of mass in the lung. This was Tuesday, and the vet made it sound pretty bad, but after spending the night in oxygen I took him home Wednesay morning and everything seemed fine.

For 4 days I spent all my time with him. Although his breathing was labored, it sounded clear and he seemed perfectly content laying in his bed next to me wherever i went. However, this afternoon he started having gasping fits. He'd start panting, opening his mouth, stretching out his neck and retching. Its get to the point were his whole upper body would shake and let out a giant squeak.

It's breaking my heart cause I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I can do to get him through his gasping fits? Ive tried sitting in the bathroom with a steam shower going, not sure if those help. I also looked for over the counter inhalers, but apparently those aren't available in Canada.

Also is this something that's going to be getting better, like cold / flu? The scripts are for only 2 weeks ... does that mean it should clear up by then? Is this something that a rat at his age can overcome? is there going to be permanent damage/side effects? The fits are really rough on him, I can tell hes terrified and he totally crashes afterwards (their no picnic on me either). Should I be considering putting him to sleep at this point?

I'm going to make a vet appoint for first thing in the morning, but any feed back i could get before then would be appreciated.

If he has chronic lung issues or a mass in his lungs the steaming won't help. It only helps when there's congestion that steam can break up :(

From the x-rays I will assume that there is not going to be a real cure for him. I would see what your vet says but I would also consider putting him to sleep :(

Sounds like he's got a pulmonary abscess. Best you can do now is to make him comfortable. The meds could shrink it some. I've had rats his age come back from gasping but they were on Baytril and Zithromax.

Well they gave me a puffer for emergencies which is a little more comforting (mentally if nothing else). However, so far today no gasping fits, so were both feeling a little better, hes still tuckered out and breathing heavy, but nothing like yesterday.

I asked if I should be putting him to sleep, but the vet said we might want to give the antibiotics some more time to work. She seems to think its something he can come back from.

As for being chronic, this is the first time hes had any issues so not sure why they would have used that term.

Yesterday the gasping fits seemed like just to much to handle and too much for the little guy. However, today has been much better so I'm definitely going to hold out and let the meds work its course.

Back