Darn you CL. Raybeam is here!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRatQueen

Well...I guess your door is never closed...right...?

I'm insane...or feel insane. But as soon as I read this ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/3070127239.html I FELL IN LOVE.

So I am meeting up with the 'shelter' on Saturday to steal the Raybeam (or I have now dubbed him).

Someone dropped him off at a cat rescue...and he's only lived in an aquarium. :(

I cannot wait to give him lovings so I had to share the news since I am impatient and wanted to share.

So...I've never had a blind rat before. Is there anything I should be extra careful about? My biggest worry is the cage I want to intro him to...is a 4 level cage w/ no ladders. So I'm trying to figure out what I can add to the shelves to make it so he has to jump from level to level with ease. I'll have new hammocks soon to catch him if he falls and will be getting new cages w/ ladders in Aug. So at least I won't have to worry about it for long.

But if anyone has some tid-bits for me, that'd be great!

Rayyyyyybeammmmmm!

For the ladders, you could improvise something, you can zip tie socks from level to level, or small oven racks as ramps , or just hang hammock stairs of sorts.

Have fun with him :D

Hahaha, yeah, what's one more right?

That's so exciting, it's so great for him you're taking him!

Cybele had no eyes and she found her way from the floor of her single level cage onto the hammocks in a few minutes when I brought her home. She didn't have any trouble finding the food bowl, water bottle, or litter box either. I think we're more aware and apprehensive about their 'disabilities' than they are.

CongRATS!

He's here!!! He's soo much smaller than I expected. Only 343g.

I first picked him up I seriously didn't think he was blind. He went straight for my boobs and dove down the shirt and had bath time. The people probably thought I was nuts. LOL

Well, as soon as I put him in the carrier...that's when I could tell right away that he was blind. And he squeaks...A LOT.

Here are the photos:

7381576448_f7267894cd_h.jpg

7381570036_d7432a51b2_z.jpg

7381568428_3c366cc182_z.jpg

7381567032_10feeba16e_z.jpg

7381565826_55a29d25e8_z.jpg

7381563998_994be3feec_z.jpg

Video of him squeaking every time I touch him.
[BBvideo 450,375:154yvq0y]http://youtu.be/pVrRsDvZ7Wg[/BBvideo:154yvq0y]

Congratulations! I think his whiskers are the most important thing for him, so as long as he has them, he can 'feel' the floor and if there is something in front of him or over him. I think the most important thing would be that once he gets to know his cage, don't change it around. Always put things back in the same place so he is familiar with the layout and can relax about where things are.

Thanks. The hardest thing is I cannot pet him or pick him up out of his cage I have him in now. He'll lunge and bite, but when he's out of it, he's not terrible.

It's odd to get used to.

Back