Dander?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--Jennifer--

Hey,

So today I noticed one of my male rats had red dots on his back (by his bum)

I watched for a bit, no movemenr but when I want to go take them out to investigate what they where his hair would come out in little patches:(

I washed him thinking it may be dander and the red dots mostly disappeared, he and my other male rat have appointments for neutering in the next week.

Honestly im really hoping its just dander and not lice.. there was no movement but he was scratching alot before I washed him and he didn't want me to touch him. :(

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It could also be buck grease especially if nothing moved. The only other thing it could be lice (mites are invisible to the naked eye) but you would see them slowly move once you part the fur on the rump and watch.

My first thought was buck grease too, if you part the fur is his skin a rusty color too? My siamese, pew, beige boys I can see the buck grease on the fur a lot easier than the dark ones and once thought they had lice too.. I was quickly educated by this forum and the vet.

Yeah like hes got an orange bum somedays, Ill try and take a picture of it today to see.

8ydy6uha.jpg

So it shows them right on his bum

muzyze5e.jpg

So thats his skin by his bum... he was quite keen to not have his picture taken especially in the light. -.-

So long as they don't move, then it's definitely buck grease but it looks mild. I would stop bathing him though, see if it goes away with his own grooming.

This is what my Finn's buck grease looked liked - these were before he got really sick. He was about 15 months or so when I took these I think.

100_2252_zps6e3fe9b9.jpg

100_2251_zpsf76cd11c.jpg

Geez finn was huge! My oldest rat whos almost 1.5yrs is still so small, Cuddle sized.

That makes me feel alot better, I was so paranoid (it was his first bath...he hated it)

I checked my other rat (charlie) and he doesnt have it... yet hes older, is this normal?

Thats alot of buck grease, ive heard it goes away if they get neutered is it true? or is this a myth?

--Jennifer-- said:
Thats alot of buck grease, ive heard it goes away if they get neutered is it true? or is this a myth?

Finn was one of my big dumbos before he got sick, when we had to have his pts he had lost over 300 grams. Now that you mention it I really haven't noticed it in my neutered males and of course I don't notice it as much in my intact black/dark furred males. I started to notice it after they turned a year old, but I noticed it today on my very hormonal almost one year old. My boys range in size from the 300 gram range to almost 900 grams. Not counting the 6 week old babies we have.

Thats so interesting, they just stopped after being neutered.

I want the babies again :(. Except Charlie and chubs would get along for that 30 seconds to destroy the babies and then eachother.

Should I know about anything after the neutering as to care for them or different behaviours?

Back