cuts under the chin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I know when there's cuts or scabs under the chin it usually means mites or lice. The girls had mites a while ago and were treated with Ivectermine. They are not scratching at all, except for the normal. So we're wondering what could cause some of the girls to have these little cuts under their chins? So far there's only a few that have it, Willow, Joy, and Mya.
Could it have been from when they had mites and it's still just in the process of healing? It still looks red like they scratched it open or something.
Any ideas?

Ugh... some people have reported that ivermectin does not always get rid of all the mites. I would try Revolution this time. :(
There really is nothing else that would cause scabs on chins.

jorats said:
Ugh... some people have reported that ivermectin does not always get rid of all the mites. I would try Revolution this time. :(
There really is nothing else that would cause scabs on chins.

I treated my guys with Ivermectin 4 weeks ago - the one treatment is meant to last the whole 4 weeks - but Patrick was still scrattin away like a good 'un (ahahahahaa!!!!!! North-East England talk for ya's). I had to give them a second treatment last night. I hope it sorts it out.

The stuff i ordered had four pippette's in a box. One pipette (cant spell that) per rat. So one box has done two rats for two treatments. Luckily... i ordered two boxes so i'm not going to be in a panic if i need to find some more and can't afford the vets lol.

Well someone steered you in the wrong direction, Ryelle. Ivermectin is only effective on adults, and they hatch every week. so Ivermectin must be used every week for 3 weeks to kill the entire life cycle of the mites. Basically your rat is reinfested every week, hence the scrub down, re-dosing, etc.

Selamectin (Revoltution, or Stronghold in the UK) is the one effective for 30 days.

I think you had better consider last night's treatment, #1 again, and start from scratch :(

The box says...

"Anti-Parasite contains Ivermectin (150ug per pipette) and is effective against lice, fleas, mange, mites and other mites and roundworms. It will continue to be effective for up to four weeks from the day of treatment"

That is 'Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On for rabbits, guinea-pigs, ferrets and rats' - the Fancy Rat forum point people in the direction of this stuff i believe

Now i think i waited the whole four weeks, but it could have been 3 (my memory is terrible).

With the dose above should i give them another one next week? The Vets give a weekly treatment for 3 weeks, only continued if it needs to be after then. I suppose i should have known better :(

Dr. Dunnett said just two treatments. Give them the first one and then in 7 days give them another shot. I'll have to get some revolution just in case. It's weird 'cause they're not scratching at all.

Is it the kitten revolution you can get at any store that you can use on ratties too? I remember someone talking about doing that instead of going to the vet.

So I found lice on Griffin last night. I asked the receptionist when I took in Alice and Franka in this morning to get Dr.Gallon to look at them and that we need revolution. Fun times, I'm thinking it must have come with either Tiberius or Monte.
I hate bugs lol

I called my vet to ask for the perscription, I described the bugs and they precribed it without looking at my rats. Its saved me an exam fee. They may have made an exception though because I was away when this happened. Try calling first though

I had to go in today anyways 'cause Alice is getting a tumor removed. So she's just going to check her and Franka while they're there.

well last night we gave revolution to 21 ratties lol what a job that was doing a REALLY good cage clean and then giving them the meds. Took us almost over 4 hrs. Was so tired afterwards! I think it must be working a bit already 'cause I have noticed they're not itching as much this morning.
We have to give them another dose in 30 days they said 'cause of the concentration of the revolution. Fun times.

Dose in another 30 days? But the Rev is effective for 30 days (longer than the lifecycle of the buggies)...I am confused.

Wanna get really annoyed?

When I dose my 50 or so rats, I don't clean cages. I freeze bedding, but I don't clean cages..haven't had a problem yet. :cheeky:

The ladies were saying that the first dose of revolution kills the adult lice but doesn't kill the eggs. So you need a second dose that will kill all the eggs before they turn into lice because lice become lice in a 30 day period she said.
I bet that's some fun treating 50 ratties lol

Back