Cut, keeps bleeding Help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

La Jolla has a big cut under her arm , we tried to give pressure, and corn starch but it still looks like its bleeding.. what should I do?

Keep trying to put pressure on it, you can also try a cold compress. I had a rat that got a superficial bite that hit a blood vessel and she bled for hours. It finally stopped after I wrapped her in a receiving blanket and applied pressure that way for almost an hour. You should also replace fluids when you can - Pedialyte, Gatorade, or a homemade rehydration solution would be good.

How is she otherwise? Is she in pain? Lethargic?

Well we took her into the vet, they stopped the bleeding and gave her a bit of sedation . they cotarized it with a nitrate stick ( which we have more of in case). Small bite wound, she has meds, trimethoprim/sulfa, antibiotic to prevent infection, for a week. in the hospital cage for the night to watch for bleeding and to keep her from being trampled while groggy. Poor thing.

Awww that was quite the bite then :( What a scary night. I usually use pressure on wounds like that, like I did with baby Bjorn, and leave the blood soaked cloth on it to help the new blood clot.

You might want to load he up on iron and vitamin K as well...dark leafy greens I think has both?

lilspaz68 said:
Awww that was quite the bite then :( What a scary night. I usually use pressure on wounds like that, like I did with baby Bjorn, and leave the blood soaked cloth on it to help the new blood clot.

You might want to load he up on iron and vitamin K as well...dark leafy greens I think has both?

La Jolla is one of the BC rats with serious clotting issues, so I think any cut would have done it. She's lucky she has Cinder and her family that were willing and able to get her the help she needed :heart:

I'm glad she's doing better. Kale is an excellent source of both iron and vitamin K and the minerals are better absorbed if it's slightly steamed or blanched.

That is good to know Cinder, I wonder if I should order some considering some of the frights Sam gave me and I still have Frodo to worry about.

Back