Curling tails?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

Just a random thing.

I was at Petsmart today picking up some miscellaneous food and swung by to say hi to the girlies, and noticed this one little lady that wasn't looking so good -- her fur was very rough and porphy stained and it looked it there was an irritation underneath, although I couldn't get a very good look at it because she was running around the cage. But what seemed very odd to me was the way she carried her tail -- curled up over her back. Not like the way a rat arches its tail when it's running on a wheel, but curled into a spiral like a pug dog.

I did see her stretch it out behind her, but then quickly coiled it back up over her back and continued on her way.

I've never seen a rat do that before, ever! Any ideas?

Griff had a curly tail, she had it when they bought her. I'm fairly certain there was no wheel in her cage though, so it's weird. I loved her curly tail anyway!

I had ratties since '98, but only heard about (or picked up on hearing about) 'wheel tail' in '05 when I adopted Sahara and asked on the ratsite. What a happy thing to find that it was from her love of the wheel rather than an injury. And sure as heck, soon as I got her a wheel she proved them right and could have powered my apartment! I have 2 wheels now, they get a bit of use but I'll always regret the time I didn't have one when she loved it so much.

There wasn't a wheel in that particular cage, but most of the cages there do have them -- so that's viable. That's so strange! So if they spend a lot of their time running they'll end up keeping their tail in that position? I've never had any runners before but my roommate did and I'd see them assume the position (hah) during running but it always went back afterward.

I don't know what her skin issue was. That store usually takes very good care of their livestock at least compared to the skeazy other chain ;) Then again now that Banfield went out of business, the critters might not be getting vet care the way they used to.

My Sahara could straighten her tail too, it wasn't always curved. I guess a workout for a rattie includes muscles in the tail too.
I'm sworn off more kids but I would go get that kid if I was close enough. Medicated shampoo and a wheel.

Trust me, if I were in any way capable of taking in a girl right now I'd be all over her. But, with no vet in town that I'd trust to do a spay, and a house full of boys, I just can't justify it.

*seriously needs to make a rescue friend in town that only takes GIRLS*

I put a wheel in my boy's cage once. Basil tried to eat it. :giggle:

My most heartfelt hugest hugs to you fenshae.
Best thing about the net is heightened options, worst thing is a wrong place right time for that girl & me.
Your post might save her. I sure hope so.

Back