Cuddling and calmness

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay O.

I see soooo many rat owners who can cradle their little ones and petting them and I can see they genuinely enjoy it, but mine absolutely can't be still! At first I thought they were too full of energy. I do get them out before bed to play, although there are some nights I work late and don't have the time to spend the hour or so letting them into their play area. On those nights I try to handle them for at least 10-15 mins or hang out in the room with them and give some treats. I still end up going to bed feeling guilty as sin :(

*SIGH* I'm just really jealous! I would love to get them out in the morning and throughout the day to just chill on the couch, but they are in full on play mode when they're out of the cage. Is there anything I could do to teach them to enjoy this activity?

I have 5 females, all 9 months old. =)

I appreciate your help!

They are normal active little girls
as they age they will slow down ….. and at their age some may hop on you for a pat and then run off again to play, climb run and explore

If they are actively playing with you then you are already doing a great job, just because they don't want to cuddle doesn't mean they don't enjoy being with you. You're rats are also girls so you should be prepared for them to be more playful. If you really want to have cuddle sessions then wait till your rats are sleepy so they are more willing to be pet, then, if they aren't used to be cuddles so much, you can use some kind of licking treat to give them while petting to have your rats enjoy being pet.

Okay great thank you!

Is it ok to pick one up out of the hammock and bring it out to hang out with me solo for a while? That is something I haven't been doing because I feel like a jerk for disturbing their sleepytime.

I think if you move them while their sleepy they'll probably just wake up, I think your better off letting them run around their play area till they run out of steam.

Back