Cuddles and bites..?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now my actual question...templeton typically licks my hand and i have gotten used to that but every now and then he bites...just a soft nibble that kind of tickles, but since he is my first rat i just want to make sure it's normal.

Biting can be normal for a rat. I have a girl who loves to try to take chunks out of me, for her, totally normal. Most rats nibble fingers to see if they are food. I have some rats who bite me kinda hard when I play with them normal too they are just a bit mouthy when they play. It is only a problem when it hurts.... or draws blood

How old is your little guy?
Nips are normal for some rats and really hard to stop that habit. As long is it never hurts or breaks the skin.

i believe he is a about a year old. i adopted him from my friend when she moved and was not able to take him with her. He was the one with the severe bumblefoot and mites!

He's such a sweet boy though. He never fusses over getting medicine and whenever i would mess with his poor little feet he would sit there and take it.

JayWilder said:
i believe he is a about a year old. i adopted him from my friend when she moved and was not able to take him with her. He was the one with the severe bumblefoot and mites!

He's such a sweet boy though. He never fusses over getting medicine and whenever i would mess with his poor little feet he would sit there and take it.

Maybe you just taste good. :D

One of my boys used to hide in between the pillows, on my bed, and then charge out.... nip me in the butt... and run back into the pillows. It didn't hurt and we had a blast. :bunnydance:

Generally, when rats are aggressive, they will puff up, with their fur standing on end, with an arched back and a sideways walk with their hips swinging (it looks hysterical but it isn't... it means "don't touch me.")

Unless your boy is showing these signs, he will generally be just fine.... and you can play with him.... and he can try to have you for lunch. :laugh4: :dance: :D :wink2:

Yea. So long as he's not taking a chunk out of you it's fine. I have 2 boys who'll scrape their teeth and lick my fingers. I also have 1 other cheeky boy who'd jump and cling on the collar of my shirt, nip my chin or hop on my shoulder to nip my ear and then run off. If I don't chase him he'll come back to see what's up.

lilspaz68 said:
is he also scraping his teeth along your skin? If so he's grooming you like he would with another rat. :D

yes he did!! and he was making clicking sounds which i believe is burxing...? maybe?

he ended up falling asleep cuddled with my hand/computer mouse and everytime i would move it too much he would lick my hand :D

haha! i've never felt so clueless with one of my furry friends!

Oh he really loves you :)

If he ever is a bit too strong, just change your tone of voice and when he softens or licks you praise him and pat him. A responsive lovely boy like him will learn fast :) Normally we tell people to eep loudly when nipped but he just needs to learn to soften the pressure.

:sad3: well I just had Temp out on my desk hanging out and he was busy grooming away at my hand when he bit..hard. This time he drew blood. It's the first time he's bit even remotely hard and I did squeak (mostly because I was surprised) and he looked at me and went right back to licking...

Could this have just been a fluke on his part?

Some rats don't realize we're more delicate than they are and go a bit too far grooming. Rats would let each other know the other is grooming too hard by squeaking so you did the right thing. If a rat bit you to hurt you, and not out of fear or error, you would know. Every time I've been bitten by a rat I've needed Ibuprofen and had limited mobility of my hand and corresponding arm for at least a day.

When he bit down, was he shaking a bit, determined to sink in? If he did that, then you'd be in a lot of pain right now, like Victoria mentioned, needing ibuprofen.
But if it's just part of his grooming and going too deep, where you get a little scratch then it's nothing serious but you need to stop him from doing that next time. That means no more grooming the hand.

Back