Crestie in a bottle?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboo

Well, it's time for another story about life with animals lol -sometimes $h!t just happens but it doesn't always end badly...sometimes you even get a good story out of it lol!

Earlier tonight, I was doing some stuff with the critters (feeding, cleaning, etc.) and I had one of my juvi crested geckos out. He's a friendly little guy and very curious but he's still a little unsure about handling, but I'm working with him. He had been quite patient with me for a while and he very eager to explore a little bit, so I let him wander on top of his tank a little (If anybody wants to let a crestie, especially a juvi like this, explore you have to be very aware of the surroundings. The are extremely quick and can disappear through tiny cracks or spaces if given half a chance) Anyways, I had a spare spray bottle with no top on it's side up there, along with some other things (I had actually dropped it and broken the top earlier today, which is why there was no top) He walked right up to it, gave it a look-over and boldly walked right into it.

I quickly realized that he was not going to be able to turn around. I was initially thinking of letting him figure out to back up but it was apparent that he was not going to come to that conclusion soon enough and he was already getting stressed out. So, a pair of penny clippers and a few minutes later, I had him cut out of the bottle. He climbed out, onto my hand and held on with a death grip (you know those cartoon images of scared cats desperately holding on to someone's head...yeah, kind of like that lol) After a few deep breaths, he was ready to go back to his tank.

I didn't get any pictures of him actually in the bottle (I had to get him out quickly because he was pretty upset) but here he is clinging to my thumb, hyperventilating lol (and don't worry, he was being a bit melodramatic -he was really only in the bottle for about 5 minutes...and he only knew that he was stuck for half that time) I feel bad that the poor, little guy was scared and I sure wasn't laughing at the time, but it is a little funny in hindsight lol. All's well that ends well, I guess :giggle:

SaturdayJuly92011024.jpg

jorats said:
He's so cute! Does he have a name?
I would of had a heart attack myself seeing a little guy stuck and stressed in a bottle. lol
Yes, his name is Kiwi :)
fenshae said:
hahah, what a cutie! Good thing it wasn't a glass bottle ;)
Yes, another reason to use cheap, dollar store bottles -that and you don't feel bad if you have to cut them up for some reason lol :wink: :giggle:

Back